Good question, but lets state from the outset that Pinotage is not a hybrid. Neither is Ruby Cabernet mentioned further down.

And you won't see a varietal French Chambourcin in your shops because of EU anti-hybrid laws would forbid it from being sold. In the EU a hybrid wine, if exceptionally allowed as in England, cannot be labelled as a quality wine.

There is definitely an understanding amongst most wine experts that hybrid -- and native vine species -- cannot make quality wines.

But I have tasted certain examples that I think are as good as some vinifera and that I would buy including -- Norton, Chambourcin, Baco Noir, Vidal Blanc, Seyval Blanc and Ravat.

Here in the UK we see hardly any hybrids, most common is English Seyval Blanc which makes a steely crisp dry white though is comingless common as vineyards here switch to Chardonnay and Pinot.

However ASDA - a UK supermarket chain owned by WalMart - used to stock an Australian Chambourcin that was very popular; the shelves were often emptied even though it was priced higher than similar wines.

When I have been in the US in states where hybrids are grown they seem very accepted by the locals.

I think that some hybrid/natives can make good wines, but if people aren't prepared to pay for them then less will be spent on their winemaking and there is a vicious circle.

I reckon tho', that hybrids won't be accepted amongst cognescenti until RP gives one a 90+ score smile