Ridge Vineyards Zinfandel Pagani Ranch Sonoma Valley Ca. 2001

The color is plum at the rim and an opaque blue-black at the core. This has every indication of being (still) a very young wine. The nose, unfortunately, is dominated by blueberry, which is not a characteristic I have ever noticed in this wine previously. The nose is also floral while also showing the usual Zin funk, Dr. Pepper and brown sugar, but it also shows something “stoney.” This is not so much “mineral” as it is the smell of rip-rap. It’s an attractive feature that makes the senses perk up a bit. The profile tracks the nose to a tee. Throwing lots of sediment just now. 15.4% alc. With blue cheeses, country ham, black olives and bread. 01.17.14. Recommended.

Ridge Vineyards Zinfandel Pagani Ranch Sonoma Valley Ca. 2005

This remains a very young wine with a vibrant purple core and thin rim of cranberry. The nose and palate are filled with sweet, warm dark fruits, maybe even grilled fruits. Rhubarb flavors, Zin funk and bramble berries round out the attack. Nutmeg and grown sugar finish off the attack. Just like the wine was 6.5 years ago it is a “fun” (enjoyable, pleasing, drinkable) wine. The alcohol was somewhat out of balance back then, but now the 14.2% alc. seems very much in balance. With assorted blue cheeses. 01.10.14. Recommended.

"I've wrestled with reality for 35 years and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Elwood P. Dowd