My F-H shipment arrived last week, so thought I'd Pobega the two whites:
1. Forlorn-Hope QueSaudade Verdelho Calif (13.58%; 457 cs) 2012: Med.gold slightly cloudy color; very fragrant/perfumed very floral/carnations some stony/earthy/chalky slight spicy/nutmeg quite attractive nose; fairly tart/tangy/grapefruity some stony/mineral/citric strong floral/carnations/aromatic slight metallic/steely flavor; very long tart/tangy/grapefruity some stony/mineral/metallic quite aromatic/floral/carnations finish; a lovely Verdelho w/ a nice stony/mineral quality underlying it. $27.00
2. Forlorn-Hope Nacre Semillon YountMillVnyd/Yountville/NapaVlly (11%; 187 cs) 2010: Med.light gold color; rather exotic/herbal/rosemary/pungent/green olive/sage slight figgy/Semillon very interesting nose; quite tart/tangy green olive/herbal/sage/pungent light earthy/mineral/chalky slight figgy/Semillon rather exotic flavor; very long quite tart/tangy/grapefruity bit mineral/metallic strong green olive/sage/herbal/pungent slight Semillon/figgy rather savory finish w/ a laser-like texture; quite an exotic rendition of Semillon much like a HunterVlly Semillon w/o the oak; quite a savory wine that went great w/ our vegetarian dinner. $29.00
1. These two wines, which I liked both quite a lot, are exactly the kind of wines that would send attourneys in Monktown into an apoplectic fit. The Verdelho is one of those "god-forsaken" weird varieties that all the modern/hip Somms are trying to foist off on us unsuspecting consumers. The Semillon tastes like it's made from woefully underripe grapes and an abomination on what Calif does best w/ grapes...take advantage of the generous sunshine and ripen them to a high degree and make a wine w/ ripe intensity and "gobs of hedonistic fruit". They're not for everyone I would suggest.
Tom