Cracked this open last night on a wing & a prayer:
1. KentRasmussenWnry PinotNoir Carneros (13%) 1987: Med.light color w/ slight bricking; slight reduced/Rasmussen stench that leaves to some toasty/smokey/Fr.oak/bit Burgundian some bright/cherry/PN/earthy some cedary/pencilly fairly complex/light nose; rather tart earthy/dusty strong smokey/toasty/Fr.oak some light/bright/cherry/PN slight bretty/mushroomy complex flavor w/ light/smooth/bit drying tannins; fairly tart light/cherry/PN/earthy some toasty/pencilly/Fr.oak/smokey slight mushroomy/Burgundian finish w/ light/gentle tannins; not a lot of fruit left but a lovely/fully mature Calif PN that's starting to fade into the sunset but still very much alive and a pleasure to drink.
1. I have, of course, followed KentRasmussen from the very start. His Chard & Pinot from his Estate in the Carneros don't seem to get the respect they deserve. When I started trying them in the late '70's, they were made in a rather reductive style. To which I coined the term "the Rasmussen stench". Same story for KenBurnap's SantaCruzMtnWnry and the "Burnap stench". In those early days, those stenches could be pretty powerful. But the wines always came out of it just fine, thank you.
Tom