Cappellano Barolo Vigneto Storico Gabutti Otin Fiorin 1995

From the historic (storico) vineyard Gabutti in Serralunga. Otin Fiorin was the owner/grower that Cappellano bought the grapes, then the land from. The wine has a different name now.

14% Imported by village wine,NY

This was decanted for an hour. It was muted on the aroma and had somewhat of a New World-y smell and flavor to it, surprisingly. It did not remind me of the other Cappellano barolos I've had. This was tight and bright. More on the elegant side than on the big side. Not a fruit driven wine. The wine turned very dry and mouth puckering after a while and became a little more Barolo like. It opened up a bit also. A very nice wine but not what I was expecting. When I drink my other one, I will decant it for long time or not open it for 10 or 20 years. I've mostly had their 1990 and maybe the difference is vintage driven or maybe this Otin Fiorin is made in a different, less fruit driven style than the normale. My wife liked this 1995 more than I did.

A week or two before, I tried the Nervi Gattinara 1974 but the cork crumbled and the wine was sherried. I opened another whose cork also crumbled the same way and it also had a taste of sherry but it was at least drinkable. I could see without the sherry flavor, it could be a very nice but not great drink that would have the stuffing to last for a while. Based on the performance of the two corks though, I will drink the rest of mine sooner rather than later.

Thanks
Fraser

Edited by fraser (09-27-2015 09:56:34)