Ciao famiglia,

Just some quick notes on a few vinos biancos tasted recently, all samples from suppliers.

1. 2014 Anselmi "San Vincenzo", IGT Veneto. Garganega 80%, Chard and Sauv. Blanc at 10% each. Stainless steel I assume, as there was no sign of wood at all. Very crisp and clean, medium bodied at 12.5% abv. Light gold color. A lovely nose of lemon blossom and grapefruit, juicy acidity on the palate, delicious wine and perfect for fish/shellfish. Excellent condition. Loved everything about it but the retail price, which is about $18. Grade: B+.

2. 2013 Anselmi, "Capitel Foscarino". IGT Veneto. A richer, more complex big brother to the San Vincenzo. However, it was undrinkable the first night due to excessive sulfur, barely drinkable the second night, but by the third night it had blown off to reveal a beautiful wine, medium gold color, more pear and tropical fruit than it's little sibling, fuller bodied at 13.5% abv, honeyed, lower acidity but greater depth of flavor than San Vincenzo. Perfect for lobster, chicken, veal or pork. Loved everything about it except for the three day wait and the retail price, which is approximately $24-25.
Grade: A-.

3. 2014 Santadi, Vermentino de Sardegna "Villa Solais", $11.99. A steal at this price, the Santadi has a light gold/yellow color, a nose of apple and melon, medium body, good acidity, just a nice, fun to drink fish wine. Grade: solid B/B+.

4. 2014 Primaterra Pinot Grigio (Venezie, retail $9.99). A fun, zippy, lemon and citrus quaffer, fresh and clean, for aperitifs or with shrimp/clams mussels. Grade: B.

5. 2014 Taburno, Falanghina del Sannio, retail $16.99. Really crisp and sharp for a Falanghina, I think this recent release could use a year in the cellar to mellow out a little. It is loaded with intense citrus and green apple fruit, not as honeyed as other producers I have tasted in recent years, but still impressive. I liked this one. Grade: B+.

6. 2014 Tenuta di Tavignano, Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi, Classico Superiore, "Villa Torre". Wow, that is a long name but it is a delicious wine, fresh and crisp and clean and fun to drink, mostly apple and pear fruit, maybe some lemon/citrus, simple but intense and perfect for shellfish/lighter colored meats, etc. I think it would retail for about $14-15. Grade: B+.

dc.