We tasted last night (11/18/15) More New Italian Wines:
1. Unti Verdicchio DryCreekVlly (12.6%; 70 cs; TA: 0.53, pH: 3.90; Aged: concrete eggs; 76 cs) 2014: Light gold
color; pleasant stony/mineral light floral/lavendar perfumed/attractive nose; bit soft slight tangy rather
stony/mineral/chalky very light floral/lavendar pretty flavor; med.long pleasant chalky/stony slight floral
finish; a pleasant enough white but just that. $24.00
very long tart/crisp very bright/floral/apple blossom some mineral/saline finish; this wine has a laser-sharp
floral character that makes it the best Pigato I've yet had; stupid/silly price. $20.00 (WEx)
floral/apple blossom/cherry blossom slight mango/pineapple/ripe bit valve oil very attractive nose; lightly tart
slight mineral/tangy fragrant floral/apple blossom/mango/pineapple lovely Friulano flavor; very long bright/
fragrant floral/cherry blossom fairly tart slight mineral/valve oil finish; a lovely Bianco at a terrific
price. $20.00 (BWM)
ripe lemony/pineapple bit pungent very interesting bit complex nose; softer bit nutty/piney/pungent somewhat
figgy/pineapple/ripe/mango/honeyed complex flavor; very long bit piney/pungent/honeyed/mead/graham cracker
pineapple/ripe/mango rather complex finish; showing some complexity w/ age but doing quite well; quite an
interesting wine on the riper side. $20.00 (Gom)
floral/mango/spicycarnations beautiful nose; fairly tart very floral/perfumed/mango/pineapple slight herbal
slight phenolic/skin-contact beautiful/perfumed bright/zippy flavor; very long/lingering strong floral/mango/
pineapple/carnations/pears slight phenolic/skin-contact very perfumed finish w/ no evident tannins; a very
perfumed example of Friuliano and one of the best Friulianos I can recall; beautiful wine at a great price.
$20.00 (WEx)
6. Ronchi di Cialla CiallaBianco DOC: ColliOrientali del Friuli Sottozona Cialla (13.5%; #4881 of 5610;
60% Ribolla Gialla/30% Verduzzo/10% Picolit) 2011
: Med.dark gold/burnished bronze color; strong phenolic/resiny/
cidery/skin-contact quite honeyed/orangey/figgy/ripe/appley/graham cracker complex very perfumed nose; bit
tart rather phenolic/resiny/slight cidery/graham cracker very perfumed/honeyed/orangey/ripe figs complex flavor
w/ very light tannic bite; very long/lingering strong phenolic/resiny/skin-contact/cidery very perfumed honey/
graham cracker/ripe figs/pear/apple/orangey complex finish w/ little tannins; a beautiful complex skin-contact
white at a very fair price. $35.00 (WEx)
peppery/RG slight valve oil almost R-like/aromatic lovely RG nose; fairly tart rich/lush quite floral/carnations
light peppery/RG/spicy slight stony/mineral quite perfumed lovely flavor; very long bit spicy/peppery/RG very
floral/carnations bit mineral finish; a beautiful perfumed/peppery RG at a great price. $23.00 (WEx)
Sardinia-like bit piney/terpentine slight floral nose; soft/fat bit mushy rather grapey/simple/coarse/earthy
flavor; med.short soft/fat/overripe simple/coarse/earthy/grapey finish; lots of ripeness but rather coarse
and lacking in either structure or interest; pretty dull white. $20.00 (AV)
light smooth tannins; very long strong vanilla/oak rather blackberry/plummy/raspberry/bit licorice/pungent
slight rustic/earthy/loamy finish w/ modest smooth/round tannins; shows some of the brightness of DCV fruit
alongside the rustic/sauvage character of Montepulciano; quite an interesting red that could use a few yrs
of age. $35.00
light earthy nose; slightly tart bright/cherry/Sangio/raspberry/very spicy light earthy light vanilla/oak
flavor w/ light lean/wiry tannins; very long strong bright cherry/Sangio/black cherry/raspberry/quite spicy
light earthy/loamy/dusty light vanilla/oak finish w light lean tannins; the DCV terroir give this a bright/
zippy character that works well w/ the cherry fruit of Sangio w/ the Montepulciano lending a bit of a
rustic character; quite a nicely done Calif Sangio. $28.00
pepper flavor w/ light tannins; med.long rather earthy/loamy/dusty light plummy/black cherry cola slight
black pepper finish w/ light/soft tannins; lacking in structure & impact; a beautiful nose but fails badly
on the palate. $23.00 (WEx)
light/smooth tannins; very long slight earthy/mineral strong black cherry cola/blackberry/plummy/licorice
somewhat complex finish w/ light/gentle/graceful tannins; a terrific expression of Teroldego at a great
price. $19.00 (WEx)
rough tannins; very long/lingering intense plummy/boysenberry/blackberry/licorice/RCCola some minty/eucalyptus
bit earthy/rustic/loamy finish w/ some rough tannins; not developing at a very fast pace; shows some the rustic
side of Anglianico and lots of ripeness w/ straying into the overripe/jammy side of some Paso reds; quite a
good expression of Calif Anglianico.
w/ modest tannins; very long somewhat tart/hard/lean strong spicy Italian sausage/Barbera bit blueberry/
blackberry finish w/ some hard tannins; speaks strongly of Barbera and quite an interesting wine; needs
several yrs. $39.25
________________________________________________________________________________________________
Stuff from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. Pigato: This is, of course, the name they use in Liguira for Vermentino. Known as Favorita in the Piemonte.
Vermentino is grown in Sardinia, where it makes rather coarse/clumsy wines and Tuscany, where it makes
dreadfully dull wines. It makes some very attractive wines in Calif, particularly TablasCreek and Ryme.
But this Ligurian rendition was probably the best rendition of Vermentino I can recall.
RdC specializes in working w/ native/indigenous Friulian varieties. They are one of the few wineries
working much w/ Picolit and, particularly, Verduzzzo..a variety that doesn't get a whole lot of respect.
These two whites were equally impressive. I was struck by the incredible perfume both of the wines displayed.
The CiallaBianco showed definite signs of skin-contact in its making, but the RdC WebSite makes no mention of it.
It had a definite phenolic character, but not one that dominated the fruit. And not oxidized like many of
the orange wines. It's one I plan to take to RibollaFest next Summer.
Anyway...a winery worth checking out. Wish they were more available.
a sign pointing to this wnry. Wisht I'd have taken the time to stop in for a visit. This is clearly a top-rate
wine producer making very good wines at very attractive prices.
5. Cornalin: Also known as Cornalin d'Aoste. A viriety that probably originated in the Swiss Valais, where it is
known as HumagneRouge. When I first smelled this wine, I got my hopes up very high. But, alas, it failed
miserably on the palate to deliver what the nose promised.
When we visited last month ElisabettaForadori and tasted thru her wines, I was in Teroldego Heaven. This
Monfort Teroldego struck me as good, maybe better, than her basic Teroldego...at a far cheaper price.
Definitely a producer I'm going to try to track down more wines from.
knowledge) of LaCrima de Morra d'Alba in Calif...a variety they should be planting all up & down the Coast
of Calif. Very good growers as well..SteveEdmunds Rocks&Gravel comes from UntiVnyds.
Sangio bandwagon before the wheels sorta fell off that wagon. I haven't had it in a number of yrs and should
revisit it...but the early ones seemed much too over-oaked for my taste. DavidCafarro is making some interesting
Italian varietals..at least the few I've tasted. DaVero, further South, does some interesting Tuscan-based
varietals...though the wines seem pretty pricey for what they are. But I think Unti is doing about the most
interesting job w/ Italians in the DCV.
Tom

Edited by TomHill (11-25-2015 10:30:47)