We tried these at our visit @ EmilioBulfon last month:
1. EmilioBulfon Scaglin: Light yellow color; lightly floral/peach blossom quite stony/chalky/mineral interesting nose; quite tart/austere very stony/mineral/chalky very light floral/peach blossom flavor; med.long tart/lean/austere stony/mineral finish; a quite good austere/minerally apertif wine. Euros 6.00
2. EmilioBulfon Piculit-Neri 2013: Very dark color; very strong ripe/plummy/boysenberry/black cherry light earthy/loamy/dusty rather perfumed complex nose; lightly tart earthy/plummy/black cherry/boysenberry some earthy/loamy fairly rich flavor w/ light firm tannins; very long black cherry soda/boysenberry/plummy light earthy/loamy finish w/ modest firm tannins; reminds a lot of Refosco but a bit more earthy. Euros 6.00
3. EmilioBulfon Cjanoros: Very dark color; strong black cherry cola/spicy/blackberry lighter earthy/loamy complex nose; bit softer lusher/ripe black cherry cola/licorice/blackberry rich/mouthfilling flavor w/ some hard tannins; a bit less rustic & more lush than the Piculit-Neri; very interesting red. Euros 6.00
4. EmilioBulfon MoscatoRosa (14%; L3) Pinzano al Tagliamento 2014: Pale red/copper/salmon color; very perfumed/floral/rose petal light muscatty bit spicy salami rather aromatic/complex nose; tart off-dry tangy some floral/rose petal/muscatty quite spicy flavor w/ little tannins; very long off-dry spicy/floral/rose petal light muscatty fairly tart/tangy finish w/ little tannins; quite a beautiful/gulpable rendition of MoscatoRosa. Euros 8.00/hlf
1. I fell in love w/ the wines of EmilioBulfon almost 10 yrs ago when their importer, Vinoterra/Boulder, first brought them into the Colorado market. I was first attracted to them because they were made from varieties I'd never heard of before. And the label was very attractive and old-timey.
Whilst we were in Friuli, we had one day that had not been scheduled for anything. As I looked thru the list of Friuli wineries, I spotted EmilioBulfon. Whatta dope....I should have thought ahead of time to schedule a visit there. We made a phone call and they were able to take us that afternoon. Hosting us was Alberta, Emilio's daughter.
EB ( Bulfon) is located in Valeriano, near Pinzano al Tagliamento in the province of Pordenone. A tiny bit of a village. The EB vnyds surround the cantine there on a fairly flat stretch of land.
Emilio dedicated his life to resurrecting native/indigenous Friulian varieties and making his wines from them. As a consequence, he as many varietals that nobody else grows. In 2014, Emilio received the Autochtona Award, an organization based in Bolzano that promotes the production of indigenous/native/autochthonous grapes, for his work w/ Piculit-Neri, the red-skinned variant of the usual Picolit. Most of these varieties, described on the Bulfon WebSite, come from the province of Pordenone. These are definitely wines worth seeking out..though difficult to find in the USofA.
On our arrivial, Alberta welcomed us and gave us a tour of the EB cantina. It is a very modern and up-to-date facility. We then adjourned to the tasting room to try the above wines. Alas, I'd forgotten my TN book, so had to use the wnry brochure, so the notes are a bit sketchy. And I didn't get the vintage dates.
One of the things about the EB wines is that the vintage date is not often/seldom printed on the label. Many of the Colorado EB wines I've purchased have a vintage date in hand-writing on the back label. I gather that now the vintage dates are stamped on the back label.
The EB labels depicts part of the LastSupper. It is taken from a fresco inside the Chiesa di Santa Maria dei Battuti in Valeriano. After our visit at EB, we stopped in Valeriano to view the chiesa. It's a small little bldg that dates back to ca. 1300. You just open the front door and walk right in. That is one thing that struck me about Italy...all of these small chiesas to magnificent/elaborate large churches. You just walk right in and have these mind-boggling views of the interior. They are very moving experiences and you just stand there in awe of the history.
After departing Valeriano, we headed over to SanDaniele del Friuli. Alberta had recommended a restaurant there where we could do a sampling of the famed SanDaniele proscuitto. This was, by now, mid-afternoon and the place was nothing but locals. The guy at the counter who was preparing our plate of proscuitto was amused that Susan wanted to take his picture operating their Berkel...the RollsRoyce of proscuitto/salami slicers.
Tom