We tried these wines at Marco Felluga last Oct:
1. Russiz Superiore Sauvignon Collio 2014: Med.light yellow color; fragrant rather herbal/classic Sauv light earthy/dusty clean/precise nose; lightly tart bit herbal/SB slight ripe/melony light earthy fairly rich/lush perfumed flavor; long lightly herbal/SB bit earthy finish; a lovely example of Collio Sauvignon and why I much prefer the SB's from this area.
2. Marco Felluga PinotGrigio Mongris Collio 2014: Light gold color; very perfumed floral/spicy/apple blossom/melony bright/clean lovely PG nose; lightly tart slight earthy very floral/perfumed/spicy/melony slight peppery flavor; long bit earthy/loamy very fragrant/PG/melony/apple blossom bit peppery finish; lots of perfume and much better than most pedestrian PG's.
3. Marco Felluga PinotGrigio Mongris Riserva Collio (Black label) 2011: Light gold color; fragrant/perfumed PG/melony/ripe/pineapple/mango very slight earthy some toasty/oak lovely nose; softer/riper strong pineapple/mango/melony/PG strong toasty/pencilly/oak slight earthy finish; very long ripe/pineapple/mango/PG/spicy some toasty/oak finish; richer & riper than #2 and a bit too much oak for my taste but that should age away; lovely rich PG.
4. Russiz Superiore Col Disore Cillio Bianco (40% Pinot Bianco/35% Friulano/15% Sauvignon/10% Ribolla Gialla) 2012: Med.gold color; very perfumed/aromatic strong floral/melony/mango/peach blossom some earthy/mineral rather complex nose; lightly tart rich/ripe/lush very strong floral/melony/mango some earthy/mineral structured very perfumed flavor; very long/lingering strong floral/mango/melon/peach blossom some earthy/mineral/stony rather complex finish; amazing aromatics for a PinotBlanc; should age very well; a beautiful/complex blend.
5. Marco Felluga Refosco dal Peduncola Rosso Ronco dei Moreri (13.5%) 2012: Dark color; beautiful black cherry/boysenberry/ripe/DrPepper/licorice slight earthy/loamy very perfumed some complex nose; lightly tart very strong black cherry/black cherry cola/boysenberry/licorice light earthy loamy flavor w/ light smooth tannins; very long strong black cherry cola/licorice/boysenberry light earthy finish w/ light graceful tannins; a very polished & well-crafted rendition of RdPR, one of my favorite grapes.
every since BrianLarkey
DallaTerra
started bringing the wines to NM and showing them at various wine events. Brian is, of course, sorta bigger than life and does a very good job of showcasing them, as he does all his producers. Over the yrs, I've found the MarcoFelluga (and Russiz Superiore) wines, particularly their whites, to be clean/perfumed/very well made/well-priced and pretty much quintessential Collio wines. I am never disappointed in them. They're, for some reason, not particularly hot sellers...so you can often find older vintages on the shelves here in NM.
Since we were staying at the Relais Russiz Superiore our last night in Friuli, we requested a wnry visit & tasting that morning of our stay (a beautiful place to stay overlooking their vnyds and extremely friendly hosts and a superb breakfast). I gave Brian a head's up of our plans. I strongly suspect he must have greased the skids behind the scenes, because we were given the royal treatment and comped on the tasting, with wonderful food.
Once we got to the right wnry in Gradisca d'Isonzo/Gorizia, we were met by Camillia. She gave us a quick walk-thru of the wnry and then we headed up the hill to the Felluga home and the wine cellar. In honor of our visit, they had hoisted the American flag alongside the Italian tri-color outside the wnry.
Below the Felluga home are these incredibly beautiful wine cellars and impressive wine library. The first floor is a lovely reception area w/ the tasting room and an attached kitchen. There Camilla showed us the above wines and a continual stream of food issued from the kitchen to accompany them. Unfortunately, a steady drizzle prevented much of any sort of tour of the surrounding vnyds. But the view from the tasting room, atop this high hill, are pretty incredibly.
The wines above pretty much confirmed my love for these Marco Felluga wines. The whites are clean/well-made/precise examples of Collio whites. The Refosco was classic Refosco. Unfortunately, we seldom see any of the reds here in NM.
A visit to Marco Felluga is one I'd highly recommend, in addition to a stay at the Relais.
Tom