We tasted tonight (9/7/16) some Nebbiolos. Since none came from the Langhe, most would not consider this
a true Nebbiolo tasting:
1. Idlewild Nebbiolo FoxHillVnyd/MendoCnty (14.1%) 2012: Med.light color; lightly floral/lilacs bit alcoholic slight
licorice/pungent some berry/Mendo tomatoey light oak pleasant nose; very tart/lean/hard light floral/lilacs bit licorice/
herbal flavor w/ light very hard tannins; very long tart/tangy/metallic/lean light floral/lilacs finish w/ light hard/
crunchy tannins; smells quietly of Nebb but definitely Nebb on the palate; badly needs some age; quite a pretty Nebb
but just that. $40.00
oak finish w/ light hard tannins; can benefit from a few more yrs; speaks strongly of Nebb but w/ a Calif ripeness. $40.00
metallic light floral/violets/Nebb finish w/ light sharp tannins; an interesting if sharp/tangy Nebb. $25.00 (WE)
bit appley/dried rose petal dusty rather complex oldNebb nose; lightly tart/tangy strong licorice/tarry/smoked meats/
orangey dusty/earthy old Gattinara flavor w/ light smooth tannin; very long dried rose petal/licorice/tarry/smoked meats
dusty complex finish w/ light tangy tannins; a quite nice example of an old Nebb much like an old Gattinara. $25.00 (WE)
nose w/ little Nebb character very tart/thin/eviscerated bit acrid/burning metal slight pungent/tarry w/ light
tight/hard tannins; med.long acrid/burning metal bit tarry/licorice finish w/ light pointy tannins; lacks any Nebb fruit
and not very attractive. $24.00 (BergA)
strange/atypical nose; softer lightly floral/Nebb/rosepetal rather lean/hard bit earthy flavor w/ light lean/bitey
tannins; med. weak floral/rosepetal some pungent tarry finish w/ light hard/lean tannins; better than the previous but
still pretty quotidian Valtelline Nebb. $29.00 (TWH)
licorice bit earthy/granitic very perfumed nose; lightly tart slight pungent/tarry/earthy/granitic strong floral/lilacs/
violets/Nebb complex flavor w/ modest ripe/bit rough tannins; very long/lingering strong floral/lilacs/violets/rose petal
light tarry/pungent complex finish w/ modest ripe tannins; lots of ripe bass notes w/o the high-toned fragrance of
Langhe Nebb; tannins have a full/broad texture and not the sharp/brittle ones of most Nebbs; speaks loud & clear of Nebb
and reminds some of Val d'Aosta Nebb, some of ElDorado Nebb; quite a lovely Nebb & a bit different than most.
$nc (ES)/$42.50 (WM)
Nebb light oak very aromatic lovely nose; lightly tart very floral/rose petal/lilacs/violets perfumey/bright/lively flavor
w/ light gentle tannins; very long/lingering perfumey/floral/violets/rose petal light oak finish w/ ample gentle/smooth
tannins; a very polished/well-made Nebb that has the high-toned character of Langhe Nebb but w/o the tannic bite;
lovely Nebb that has more yrs to go at a great price. $27.00 (BB)
light bitey tannins; the most delicate of the Fays and a lovely/high-toned expression of Nebb at a very good price.
$24.00 (K&L)
herbal/piney/spicy flavor w/ ample smooth/graceful tannins; very long/lingering very strong floral/violets/rose petal/
spicy slight pungent/tarry finish w/ ample rich/ripe tinnins; could use another 10 yrs; beautiful expression of Nebbiolo.
$35.00 (K&L)
violets/rose petal slight oak finish w/ ample bit harder tannins; a bit bigger in fruit & not the complexity of the
Ca'Morei; almost like a Calif expression of Nebbiolo; beautiful Nebb at a great price. $35.00 (K&L)
light ripe tannins; a pleasant enough simple red that shows little Nebb character; a simple/dull oafish red; way
overpriced at $50.00 (AV)
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
More baloney from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. Prunent: The folks at WineMonger label the grape from Garrone, which they import, as the "forefather" of Nebbiolo.
I'm not quite sure what that means. They further state that "DNA analysis confirms it is the most ancient Nebbiolo on Earth".
I wasn't aware that DNA could make any indication of age of a grape variety. d'Agata makes only a mention of Prunent
in his section of Nebbiolo. He points out that Prunent was first mentioned back in the 1300's as being in the
Val d'Ossola (this is the northernmost part of Piemonte, a finger/valley of land sticking up into the Val d'Aosta.
I gather that DNA has identified Prunent as a Nebbiolo cultivar. Whether it is a clone or a biotype or whatever is
not clear. Even though this is the first mention of Nebbiolo, this does not necessarily imply that Nebbiolo originated
from the Celts in Val d'Ossola. d'Agata seems to indicate that he thinks Nebbiolo originated in Valtellina/Lombardy.
However, since Freisa is one of the parents of Nebbiolo, this seems suspect and the origins are more likely in Piemonte,
where Freisa was once widespread. This parentage would also cast doubts of it originating in Val d'Ossola. It's all very
confusing and a huge mystery.
The pictures of Val d'Ossola on the Garrone WebSite (cantinegarrone.it/en) are absolutely spectacular. Very rugged
alpine scenery. I can hardly wait to visit the area and Cantine Garrone, lugging along a DueVigne or Castelli Nebbiolo.
Before a month ago, I'd never heard of the Prunent grape nor the Val d'Ossola. In conversations w/ EmilySchindler/
WineMonger (www.winemonger.com/); I mentioned I was involved in NEB. She insisted that I try their Garrone Prunent
and sent me this btl we tried. I was mightly impressed by this. Definitely not a Langhe Nebb but a beautiful Nebbiolo
in a different sort of way.
3. Ethan: This is, of course, Ethan Lindquist, son of BobLindquist/Qupe. Unfortunately, the Nebbiolo vines at Stolpman
were pulled and he no longer makes Nebb. Too bad, this was a very good one.
women. And the women do advertise their assets..in all their glory. Don't try this at work, though.
the tannins from the Langhe have a rather sharp/piercing/screechy texture to them. This seems a little less so for
Nebbs from the AltoPiemonte. But one of the reasons I find the Valtellina Nebbs the greatest expression of that
grape in the world is that their tannins, even at a high level, have a bit softer/rounder texture to them than many
other Nebbs. Maybe it's because Nebbiolo reflects terroir more than any other grape...so we've been told.
certainly there, were not so hard & bitey.
Tom