Ciao,

1. 2014 Casa Ferreirinha, "Papa Figos", Douro Red blend, $14.99. 91 points, WS. Like the Quinta do Crasto Red, this is a really lovely wine, with a healthy purple/violet color, fresh nose of plum and spice that reminds me more of a good Carmenere than anything else, medium to full body, blackberry and black plum fruits, no tannin but juicy acidity, very nice indeed. A wine to drink young, I think. Had it with roast duck. Grade: B+.

2. 2015 Gateway Vinho Verde, $9.99. A nice everyday VV that has a pleasant freshness to it, as well as a touch more fizz than others I have tasted this year, which is a good thing for me! Lemons, lemons and more lemon, sharp acidity, light bodied, perfect summer wine. Grade: solid B.

3. Magic Door, Sancerre Rose, NV. A sample. Very pretty pink wine with nice red cherries and strawberry notes, good acidity, lots of fun to drink. Held up well for 3 nights. Not sure what retail price would be. Grade: solid B/B+.

4. 2013 Cantele, Salice Salentino, $12.99. 100% Negroamaro. 91 points WS. A beautiful Salice with that typical Puglian pungency you either love or hate, black cherry, spice, earth, no oak, good acidity, very enjoyable. Grade: B+.

5. 2015 Villages de France, Chardonnay, and the 2015 Sauv. Blanc. Both $6.99. Both simple but fun and good QPR, all stainless steel for both, in fact, they are almost like twins, hard to tell them apart, the Chard has a touch more pear and the SB a bit more grapefruit, perhaps. Grade: B for both.

6. 2014 Buried Cane, Cabernet, Washington State, $12.99. Showing a bit of residual sugar for a slight sweet note, but an intense herbal, blackberry nose, and big on the palate as well, with medium acidity. Good QPR if you like a touch of sweetness in your Cabernet. Grade: solid B.

7. 2014 Mer Soleil, "Silver". $14.99. Unoaked Chard from Monterey, with a nice light buttercup yellow color, apple and melon nose with a touch of pear, medium acidity, nice flavor. Overall a good unoaked chard. Normally priced at $21.99 or so, where it is not such a good QPR. Grade: solid B.

Edited by Dave Cuneo (09-30-2016 10:01:53)