Matt Rorick was in town Fri (1/20/17) and we tasted a few wines:
1. Forlorn-Hope Que Saudade Verdelho Calif (12.73%; 367 cs) 2015: Light yellow color; lots of bubbles that rapidly
dissapate; very attractive floral/pineapple/appley slight honeyed very attractive nose; fairly tart appley/
pineapple/floral light mineral/stoney honeyed flavor; long appley/pineapple/floral light stony bit honeyed finish;
no signs of CO2 on the palate nor in the glass; much better than the one over a month ago; quite a nice/
pleasant-drinking white.
some rich/lush very perfumed/floral/gardenia/perfumed talc bit chalky/stony finish; a very perfumed & rich very
attractive white.
tart/tangy/metallic lightly floral/lilacs slight earthy finish w/ light bitey tannins; quite a nice TN but
seems kinda clumsey next to the F-H.
lightly tart/tangy/metallic very floral/lilacs/violets bit earthy/herbal/woodsy finish w/ light sharp tannins;
bears some resemblance to Trousseau w/o the strong earthy/loamy character those often show;a lovely lilting
kind of wine in which you can hear JulieAndrews singing "The Hills Are Alive" if you hold your ear close
to the btl.
very smokey lovely nose; lightly tart strong rich/lush/structured quite plummy/grapey slight Portish some
complex flavor w/ modest ripe tannins; very long strong plummy/grapey/Port-like bit licorice/pungent bit complex
finish w/ modest smooth/ripe tannins; can still go out another 5 yrs or so; much like a good Duoro dry red.
light peppery/PS/plummy rather rough/rustic finish w/ ample hard/rough tannins; not showing much evolution and
may never soften; sorta of a TyranusaurusRex clumsily gallumping off into the sunset and may never develop into
something...or maybe it will, w/ more age.
honeyed soft bit sweet flavor; pleasant enough sweet wine but just that; rather attractive nose but a bit
dull on the palate because of low acids.
16. Pedro Domecq Venerable Very Rare PedroXimenez Sherry (Btl drawn: 17/6/81; Btl#34; 17%) Jerez
NV (late 1800's)
: $35.00 (CB)
intense grapey/raisened/dried mango/baked pears & apples quite sweet lightly tart finish; a classic example
of an Italian passito that should live forever..or at least 30 yrs for my next fruitcake.
a big fan of Matt's wines. When she decided to do a F-H dinner in January, she convinced Matt to come out to
LosAlamos for the event last Sat night (1/21/17).
Matt was to fly in to SantaFe the Fri afternoon, so I organized a small gathering of folks at Susan's home
in SantaFe. Alas, Matt's flight out of Denver was cancelled. United was able to get a flight into ABQ, but it
didn't arrive until 8:30pm, well after our 6:30pm start time. So Laura drove down to the ABQ airport to pick him
up an delivered Matt a little before 10:00pm. It was a long day for Matt, but he gamely joined us, had some
ChoucrouteGarni and then the highlight of the evening, my 30-yr old fruitcake (reportedly separately) and the
ancient PedroDomecq PX Sherry Venerable. We finally folded the tent a bit after midnight.
Originally Posted By: "TomHill"
Tried this last night w/ leftovers:
1. Forlorn-Hope Que Saudade Verdelho Calif (12.78%; 367 cs; Estate/Calaveras + DeWitt/Amador + VistaLane/Lodi;
12 mo. in neutral 500 litre puncheons + SS) Murphys 2015
: Pale yellow color rather cloufy/hazy; some light floral/Verdelho bit chalky/perfumed talc rather light/delicate nose; lightly tart/tangy/metallic no frizzante or dissolved CO2 obvious; light floral/Verdlho slight chalky/perfumed talc/stony delicate almost eviscerated flavor; med.short lightly tart/metallic/tangy light floral/Verdelho bit stony/perfumed talk rather delicate/eviscerated finish; very delicate/light white bordering on vapid; the next day at room temperature, it seemed quite soft & vapid. $26.00
1. This is one seriously bizarre wine. When I pulled the cork, there was no obvious "pop" that you get from a white "refreshed" w/ CO2.There was no obvious out-gassing as the wine set in the btl. When I poured the first glass, there were a lot of tiny bubbles flowing down in the wine & collecting at the btl/wine interface in a ring around the outside. When you swirled the btl around & around vigorously standing upright, there was a release of very tiny bubbles that collected in a disk in the center of the vortex of the swirling wine. This disk would regularly unleash fingers that made the pattern look like the AndromedaGalaxy. These fingers would sometimes release and hook up w/ the ring of bubbles at the wine/btl interface, sometimes retract back into forming a circular disk. And just below the surface of the wine in the btl, there would appear a slimy flocculant rope of white cloudiness.
I spent (wasted) almost 30 minutes totally mesmerized by these patterns on the surface of the wine when I swirled. After about several minutes of this disk swirling in the gentle vortex of the wine, it would spread out and attach itself to the ring of tiny bubbles at the wine/btl interface. And then I take a swallow from the glass and go back and swirl the btl again. Sorry I am such a doofus...so mesmerized that I forgot to take a video w/ my iPhone. Next btl.
As a student of chaos theory, the pattern in Matt's wine were visually stunning. Clearly these are fractals and can be absolutely beautiful. See Pickover's book:
PickoverFractals
to see some of these beautiful fractal patterns.
The wine clearly has some issue with CO2. Yet there was no obvious (to me) CO2 on the palate. No continual release of CO2 bubbles. The bubbles were very tiny, about the size of those in a sparkling wine, but only released when you'd agitate the wine. Truly bizarre.
The wine is not a bad wine. I just wish it had a bit more impact on the nose and the palate. Though not on the eviscerated side as you'd get from grapes harvested too early, it was very delicate and pushing the envelope into vapid territory. Look forward to see what happens in 6 mo. and going back to try an earlier version.
As a kid (not so long ago), my Mom would scold me if I played w/ my food. Were she here last night, I'm certain she would soundly scold me for playing w/ my wine.
Tom

I, of course, sent my review to Matt and he had absolutely no explanationwhere the CO2 was coming from. The wine
should have been totally stable going into btl. He had not had a similar experience w/ any of his btls. So I
wanted to try another btl w/ Matt. This 2'nd btl was totally unlike the first, CO2-laden, btl I had. Matt had
no explanation for why my first btl was CO2-laden.
and two other German varieties. Matt got a call late in the season that they still had some of these grapes, now
getting pretty ripe, and would he like them? He stalled around a bit, they went unsold, and finally, shortly
after Thanksgiving, he harvested them. The grapes were very raisened but no signs of botrytis or any other kinds
of mold & rot. Because there was so much raisening, there was precious little juice yielded.
The release for this dessert wine has not yet been decided. He was going to price it about $25/hlf btl, but I
think I convinced Matt it was worth at least $35/hlf, if no more.
This is a classic example of an Italian passito, non-Muscat, wine...a genre I think should be pursued more
in Calif. It reminded me quite a lot of the Maculan Breganze Torcolato passito wine, or a few of the Friuli Picolit
passitos I've had. This is a wine F-H fans must buy when it's released. And thank TomHill for getting the price
up where it belongs.
There's plenty of TrousseauGris (Grey Riesling) around. but not as much TrousseauNoir. Matt says there is quite
variable color in TN, very much a clonal effect and a function of site.
Tom