We tasted last night (1/18/17) some More New Wines:
1. Salomon Undhof GrunerVeltliner VonStein/Krems-Stein dac: KremstalReserve (14.5%; www.SalomonWines.com;
EA; trocken; L/N 8673/14) Dr.SalomonWein/Stein/Donau 2013
: Med.light gold color; very attractive fragrant/GV/peppery/
floral/mango/very spicy bit Mosel valve oil lovely nose; dry very rich/lush bit mineral very strong GV/floral/mango/
quite peppery somewhat tart/tangy/grapefruity lovely flavor; very long/lingering spicy/white pepper rich/lush
strong GV/floral/mago fairly tart finish; an absolutely beautiful GV. $43.00 (BWM)
bit soft slight tangy light/delicate GV/floral bit lean/metallic light mineral/stony flavor; very long/lingering
delicate GV/floral/peppery slight mineral/stony finish; a quiet/gentle sort of GV w/ a finish that belies its
delicate nature; very good value at $23.00 (BWM)
low-key GV/floral/spicy slight earthy quite pleasant flavor; med.short light/quiet GV/floral bit simple finish;
a pleasant/simple/low-key varietally-correct GV at a very attractive price. $13.00 (BWM)
toasted marshmallow/angel food cake very floral/figgy/lychee/mango very exotic finish; it speaks some of GWT, some
of Semillion but very interesting/exotic white; this is a wine that can man e mano w/ any PinotGris from Alsace;
amazing white at a great price. $nc (EP)/$24.00
tangy/tart bit herbal/grassy very light GV/floral/stony finish; a bit lean/tight and speaks only quietly of GV but
very much in the A-R style; may have some potential to develop more w/ age. $25.00
rather exotic flavor; very long/lingering tart/tangy bit petrol/strong white pepper/perfumed talc light GV/floral
quite exotic finish; very unusual/exotic rendition of GV w/ lots of white pepper/pungent; quite an interesting/
exotic GV. $28.65
hair-oil rather bitter finish; rather low-key expression of muscat; a pleasant little white at a good price.
$12.00 (BWM)
Marsanne/ripe/some peachy/honeysuckle/very intense fruit complex nose; soft very rich/lush some caramel/pencilly/oak
very intense Marsanne/floral/honeysuckle beautiful flavor; very long/lingering caramel/toasted marshmallow/oak
intense Marsanne fruit/honeyed/honeysuckle; resembles a lot the Chave HermitageBlanc but w/o the stony/earthy
character; loads of rich/ripe Marsanne fruit but still keeping a good balance; wonderful StJosephBlanc. $53.00 (BWM)
slight TCA-tainted interesting nose; soft bit toasty/charred/oak slight funky/earthy/dusty light black cherry/PN
flavor w/ light tangy tannins; very long light black cherry/black cherry cola/PN light charred/oak bit earthy/
dusty/funky finish w/ light tannins; interesting Pinot but seems to have a very low-level TCA infection; reminds
a lot of the Calera CC Pinot. $25.00
cherry cola/PN rather complex bit Burgundian nose; fairly tart some toasty/smokey/oak earthy/PN/black cherry
cola/RCCola slight mushroomy/forest floor very structured quite interesting/complex flavor w/ some ripe/grippy
tannins; very long some smokey/toasty/oak strong black cherry cola/PN/RCCola/spicy bit earthy/dusty very structured
bit peppery/forest floor complex finish w/ some ripe tannins; needs some age; a very structuredPinot that reminds
me of the Failla Pinots; quite a good & interesting cold-climate Pinot. $nc (EP)/$65.00
smooth tannins; very long/lingering strong blackberry/Syrah/spicy light smokey/roasted/NRhone bit black olive
finish w/ some ripe/round tannins; more like a good SBC Syrah (think Jaffurs) w/ a low-key NRhone character;
a wonderful Syrah. $44.00 (BWM)
peppery/spicy flavor w/ modest ripe/smooth tannins; very long lingering smoked meats/espresso/roasted/NRhone/
black pepper very strong blackberry/Syrah/peppery finish w/ some smooth/silky tannins; reminds a lot of some
LaChapelles of old; this is how they would make SantaBarbaraCnty Syrah in the NRhone if they could; stunning
wine at a great price. $56.00 (BWM)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
A more profundities from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. Fogline: These two were sent to me by winemaker Evan Pontoriero after he saw several of my posts extolling the glories
of Calif Flora. Flora is an Olmo cross of GWT X Semillon developed back in '38 as a grape to provide aromatics to
CentralVlly whites. He got the aromatics right, but its failure to retain acidity doomed it. It apparently had a
bit of traction in NewZealand, but the wine's aromatics were a bit too much for the wussy KiWis. ZD used to produce
a Flora that I rather liked, though Gino oft used a bit too much oak on it. The early Schramsberg Cremants were made
from the Flora grape. I've long thought that Flora should be explored more in Calif when grown in cooler climes.
This Fogline is exhibit #1 as to why it should. Evan hit it out of the park on this one. I rest my case.
w/ any of the World's best. I've particularly been a fan of GV, which shows lots of floral aromatics and, sometimes,
a stony minerality. It often has an underlying/subtle scent of cracked white pepper.
was simply stunning and a dead-ringer of a very good Condrieu. However, it was a blend of Cugnette (Jacquere) and
Chard, an unusual pair for the Rhone, not Viognier. Shows how much I know!! I went back to BoulderWineMerchant and
ordered a btl of each of the remaining Montez wines to try, the three we had here. Simply stunning StJoseph wines,
some of the best I've yet had. This is a producer to search out.
Tom