Casey gave me a head's up that this was tasting pretty good, so I gave one a shot:
1. CaseyHartlip GWT LateHrvst OrdwayVnyd/AndersonVlly/MendoCnty (12%; RS: 15%; Brl frmtd; Winemaker: GregGraziano; For Sale in LosAlamos Only) 2013: Med.gold color; very intense GWT/floral/hair oil/passito ripe peach/apricotty/botrytis(?) very perfumed/fragrant honeyed/honeycomb beautiful complex nose; fairly tart very intense peachy/stewed peaches/Mom's peach pie spicy/nutmeg some GWT/floral/hair oil quite sweet beautiful complex flavor; very long/lingering quite sweet fairly tart/balanced intense apricotty/peachy/Mom's peach pie honeyed some GWT/hair oil/floral beautiful complex finish; some like a Z-H SGN GWT but for more interesting/complex than any I've had and not as syrupy sweet; good acidity to balance all the RS and somewhere between a GWT Passito and an Alsatian SGN; makes me have the jones for a piece of my Mom's peach pie; amazing dessert wine that should go another 10 yrs or more. $15.00/hlf
Casey manages the OrdwayVnyd up in the AndersonVlly. In 2013, there was a block that remained unsold and set on the vine well past maturity, so Casey persuaded Grazi to make a dessert wine for him. On one of my visits, Casey tasted me on a sample and I liked it a lot, though it seemed a bit on the simple side and tons of unresolved sugar. He gave my LosAlamos group a crazy/good deal and we bought about 3 cs of this wine. Not sure what happened to the rest of it or whether it showed up under Grazi's label.
Originally it didn't show much of a peachy/apricotty character and was more like a passito GWT than anything. Now the apricotty/peachy character is really showing, which suggests there must have been some botrytis present. Where the truth lies I'll have to hear from Casey to know.
But whatever it is, it has developed into a spectacular dessert GWT. Fortunately still have a couple of hlf btls remaining in my stash.
Tom