We tried last Fri (5/12/17) Four US Nebbiolos:
1. WindGap Nebbiolo LunaMattaVnyd/PasoRobles (18 brls; 420 cs; 14 1/2%; www.WinfGapWines.com)
PaxMahle/Forestville 2009
: Med.light ruby/garnet bit bricked color; quite fragrant violets/lilacs/
Nebb slight alight alcoholic very floral slight tarry/pungent quite attractive nose; quite tart/tannic/
hard as nails some floral/lilacs/rose petal/violets light pungent/tarry flavor w/ fierce hard/gritty/
unyielding tannins; very long very tart/tannic/hard lightly floral/violets/rose petal light pungent
finish w/ ample hard/gritty/unyielding tannins; lots of floral/Nebb character on the nose but hard as
nails on the palate; needs 5-15 yrs. $50.00
Nebb light earthy slight PR/jammy lovely aromatic nose; lightly tart/tangy very strong floral/violets/
rose petal/lilacs/Nebb slight PR jammy/ripe very light pungent/tarry flavor w/ modest hard tannins;
very long/lingering quite tart/tangy strong floral/Nebb/violets/rose petal slight PR jammy finish w/
modest hard/bitey tannins; lovely/soaring Nebb aromatics and not such fierce tannins on the palate;
needs 3-6 yrs of age yet; very attractive price at $26.00
flavor w/ modest bitey tannins; very long/lingering some floral/Nebb/lilacs/violets rather rich/ripe/plummy/
PR jammy lightly tart finish w/ light tangy/bitey tannins; speaks quietly of Nebb w/o the high-toned character
and lots of PR/jammy ripe character; a bit like a Sforzato than anything. $30.00
tangy/tight tannins; very long some pungent/tarry quite tart/angular some floral/Nebb/violets/rose petal light
earthy/dusty/pungent finish w/ light angular/tangy tannins; needs 3-8 yrs; speaks strongly of Nebb but not
so much the high-toned/floral aromatics; quite a good expression of Nebb and reminds some of the Cavatappi w/
its earthy character. $nc(RC)/$45.00
thru a personal friend. So we had them over to Susan's for dinner last Fri night. I thought it
would be interesting to show Ron what they're doing w/ the variety in Calif, so pulled some
of the better ones I've liked at NEB. The Tamarack was one Ron gifted me with and I shared w/
John on the following Sunday.
Of these four Nebbs, I probably liked the Castelli the best, closely followed by the Tamarack. I loved
the high-toned aromatics of the WindGap, but it was pretty painful on the palate.
Tom