Brother and I were in Dry Creek area and he wanted me to sample Wilson Winery zins. I'm always up for a zin taste, so in we went. They have a fairly standard policy in writing, which is that tasting is $20, which is rebated if you buy 2 or more bottles. We sampled, liked, and went to buy a few bottles each. The sales person refused to honor the policy. At first, just a flat no. Then they came up with a rationale, that there was a group on premises, and if there is an event, nobody gets the rebate.

We questioned, challenged, and became rather insistent that they honor their policy. They'd rung up our purchases. We noted that we liked their wines, were trying to purchase, and would likely return; is stealing the $20 from a customer worth a long term revenue stream? The answer was yes. Violating their own written policy was more important than happy customers.

Needless to say, we didn't complete the transaction. I may or may not have suggested an orifice they could insert their wines for better aging.