The Nebb I opened was not so hot, so I cracked:
1. AlbanVnyds Grenache AlbanEstate/EdnaVlly (15.0%) ArroyoGrande 2000: Very dark color w/ very slight bricking; bit reduced/pungent/sewer gas that clears to very ripe/blackberry/boysenberry/Grenache strong charred/burnt/Fr.oak bit smokey/roasted meats bit fumey slightly complex very extracted primary nose; rather soft slight tangy/metallic intense ripe/blackberry/boysenberry/Grenache very primary lots of charred/burnt/Fr.oak light earthy/roasted slightly complex flavor w/ modest smooth/ripe tannins; very long/lingering soft/ripe strong toasty/charred/burnt/Fr.oak quite primary intense blackberry/boysenberry/Grenache/chocolaty bit metallic slightly complex finish w/ modest ripe/round tannins; some like a 10 yr old Priorat; still pretty primary big Grenache fruit w/ not a lot of complexity; tannins seem fully resolved but not showing much complexity; probably as good as it's going to get; carries the alcohol pretty well.
1. As I've tasted the Albans over the last few yrs and am drawing down my supply, I find they are developing at a glacial pace. They just don't develop the complexity you'd routinely find in an EdmundsStJohn or a Qupe or even a Ojai or Jaffurs. In their youth, they have huge primary fruit that leaves you in awe of their extract. And they just don't seem to budge from that character. I rather enjoyed this wine for the first few pours, but it soon became tiring on the palate. I've no regrets for being dumped from John's mailing list yrs ago.
Tom