Tried this also on Sat night:
1. Allegrini DOC: Valpolicella Superiore (13%) Allegrini/Fumane/Veneto 2015: Very dark color; strong grapey/blackberry/boysenberry/Calif-like bit licorice somewhat earthy/dusty rather PasoZin-like/plummy/jammy quite attractive nose; lightly tart bit austere/hard/tannic strong blackberry/boysenberry/ripe bit dusty/earthy structured flavor w/ light hard/crunchy tannins; long rather hard/tannic strong blackberry/boysenberry/plummy some PasoZin-like some earthy/dusty finish w/ hard/chewey tannins; reminds a lot of a Paso Zin in aromas & flavors but much harder/structured on the palate; needs more age; attractively priced at $15.00 (KK)
1. Having tried the Harrington and Avanguardia Corvina in the last week and rather liking them, I realized I hadn't tried a Valpolicella in many a year, so thought it was time to give one a shot. Allegrini is, of course, one of the top producers.
I recall the Valpolicella's of 30 yrs ago as being rather thin/lean/light and on the coarse/rustic side. It appears mordern winemaking has come to Valpolicella. I would descrive this wine has being made in a modern/rather international style. But at least they didn't slather it in new oak, to their credit. I think I enjoyed more, though, the Harrington & Avanguardia, which I would describe as "lively & refreshing".
Tom