Two new IngridGroiss Whites sneaked into NM last week, so had to try them:
1. IngridGroiss GemischterSatz Braitenpuechtorff (12.5%; www.Ingrid-Groiss.At) Breitenwaida 2016: Light gold color; very strong floral/some peppery-GV slight valve oil very perfumed/aromatic nose; somewhat tart/tangy bit rich/lush strong floral/peppery/GV/mango/spicy slight earthy lovely flavor; very long/lingering strong floral/mango/peppery/GV/spicy slight earthy finish; speaks a lot of GV w/ other things lending complexity; an absolutely delicious GS at a great price. $22.00 (KK)
2. IngridGroiss GrunerVeltliner DAC: Weinviertel (13.0%) Breitenwaida 2016: Med.light yellow color w/ tiny bubbles; strong classic GV/white pepper/spicy/floral slight earthy lovely nose; rather tart/tangy/grapefruity slight prickle strong GV/white pepper/spicy bit lean/tight classic GV flavor; very long tart/tangy strong spicy/GV/white pepper slight earthy finish; seems to have a bit of retained/refreshed CO2 but plenty of true acidity; a really attractive 4-square GV at a great price; not as interesting or the richness as the GS. $18.50 (KK)
1. IngridGroiss is one of my most favorite of Austrian producers. When we visited her Heuriger last Fall, I was dazzled by her wines. She makes a broad range of wines, but unfortunately not all of them come to the USofA and only the basic level ones come to NM.
When I opened the Gruner, the screwtop gave that typical "pop" of a wine w/ CO2. And poured in the glass, there were the telltale tiny bubbles in the bottom of the glass. Whether it was CO2 retained from the fermentation, or CO2 added at bottling to "refresh" the wine, I'm not certain. But it was the first time I recall CO2 in her wines. Normally, the CO2 addition is used to give an underacid wine an (ersatz) sense of acidity and it fails to save the wine. In the case of this GV, the wine had a very good acidity and the CO2 was just a distraction and didn't particularly bother me. In other (underacid) wines, I find I don't care for the CO2 addition.
Anyway, these two '16's were excellent and I shall be buying more. Not yet tried the rose, though.
Tom