Tried this wine Fri night when I wanted a refreshing white:
1. Stift Kloster Neuburg 50% Zierfandler/Rotgipfler WoO: Thermenregion/Gumpoldskirchen (13%; www.Stift-Klosterneuburg.at; Qualitatswein/halbtrocken) Klosterneuburg 2015: Pale gold color w/ lots of tiny bubbles (CO2 refreshed); attractive floral/mango/pineapple light earthy pleasant nose; soft bit frizzante off-dry light mango/floral/pineapple rather dull/vapid flavor; med.short fairly off-dry (2%) soft light pineapple/mango/floral slight earthy/metallic simple finish; pleasant enough nose but refreshed CO2 can't save this dull as dishwater wine; shades of BlueNun.
$23.00 (SFW&S)
When I was first trying Austrian wines, Gumpoldskirchen was ubiquitous and a GrunerVeltliner was seldom to be found. Then along came the ethlyene glycol scandal in 1985 and virtually all Austrian wines disappeared from the US market. It took almost a decade for them to recover. But Gumpoldskirchen never did seem to recover and you seldom see it around anymore.
We visited the Kloster Neuburg facility two yrs ago. It is a very impressive facility loaded w/ history...absolutely beautiful/magnificant. The Stift has played a very important role in the Austrian viticulture story. They make a large range of wines. However, I found them to be a bit too industrial/institutional to my taste.
Tom

Edited by TomHill (09-17-2017 10:29:04)