Glen Manor Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc Va 2014

The good times keep rolling with this wine as I pulled a bottle to accompany goat cheeses after a day of goodbyes and travel from dropping off PMB for her last year in Williamsburg at W & M. We’d purchased some bread from the Va. Culinary Federation at the Wmsburg farmer’s market to pair with cheeses purchased just the week before knowing we’d be tired from our day f travel. The next day, we pulled a bottle to pair with DDB’s tomato crustini. Both pairings were excellent. Oh, the wine: clean, crisp and lean (in a good way) with some corn elements (it paired most well with corn on the cob with basil butter. White grapefruit, lymon, gooseberry, anise and chalk. Obviously, I have no discipline with this wine since I’ve pulled 5 this summer alone. 13.1% alc. With goat cheeses and bread followed by tomato crustini. 07.26 & 27.17. Recommended.

Wakefield Downs Vineyards Ponga Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough NZ 2016

This is almost clear ... almost. Big on white grapefruit, gooseberry and cut grass, the palate is racy and zippy. No real depth, but at $11.00 this is an over-performing QPR. (“Ponga” is a term for a fern in NZ with a silver underside the reflects the light of the moon. Indigenous people used the fern to mark trails that could be followed at night.) 12.5% alc. With omelettes. 07.19.17. Recommended with reservations.

"I've wrestled with reality for 35 years and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Elwood P. Dowd