It is, of course, the ne plus ultra of any wine to express the terroir of where it was grown. There can be no higher achievement than for a wine to show terroir. If we're good wine connoisseurs, we worship at the altar of terroir. This we've been told by the experts and many/many winemakers.
We have also been told by these same experts that Riesling displays its terroir better than any other grape. Errrr...was that Nebbiolo?....or PinotNoir?. I can't remember which one it is.
Now we find out:
Terroir/FieldBlends
that no.....it's field blends that are the ultimate way for a wine to express terroir. Sorry Burgundy. Sorry Piemonte. Sorry Mosel. It's field blends.
Ms.Denig also reveals such profundities as:
Quote:
We know, for example, that every wine is either a varietal bottling or a blend. (The difference there is simple. Varietal wines consist of one single grape variety, while blends are comprised of multiple types of grapes.) Regions like Burgundy are known for their single-varietal bottles, whereas other areas, such as Bordeaux, are renowned for world-class blends.

So....now we know. I guess I'm going to have to start buying more Carlisle and Bedrock in order to have a wine that is the ultimate expression of terroir. Whatta shame.
Tom confused

Edited by TomHill (11-22-2017 08:42:51)