Couldn't wait to try this new wine from Adam:
1. OjaiVnyd Barbera RichVnyd/VenturaCnty (14.5%) 2015: Med.dark color; strong classic Barbera/spicy/Italian sausage/spicy/fennel light earthy light toasty/oak very attractive nose; quite tart fairly rich/lush classic Barbera/spicy/Italian herbs bright/zippy/taut light toasty/oak flavor w/ modest tangy tannins; very long tart/tangy very spicy/Barbera/Italian dried herbs/fennel/bit licorice fairly rich/lush/textured light toasty/oak bit earthy/dusty finish w/ modest angular tannins; a really beautiful expression of Calif Barbera; can benefit from 3-8 yrs of age. $38.00
This is a debut wine for Adam. The RichVnyd is in the warm upper reaches of the OjaiVlly, not far from their RollRanchVnyd. Probably an ideal site for Barbera in Calif. The wine shows the classic Barbera acidity, but not in a teeth-chattering way, and the richness counterbalances the acidity well. One of the best Calif Barberas I've had in some time.
The upper OjaiVlly is a fairly warm region and this always shows in the softness and ripeness of the RollRanch Syrah. I've long thought it to be an ideal place for some of the Italian varieties. This is a terrific first step in that direction.
Tom