Impressions 1-24-18

Bubbles:
N/V Jean-Noel Haton , Brut Rose - grows on you but is ultimately forgettable
N/V Egly-Ouriet, Brut Tradition Grand Cru - sensational, lightens the day and my mood

Whites:
2012 Rhys, Chardonnay Horseshoe Vnyd. - suave, forward but a touch more wood than I like
2014 Louis Michel, Montee de Tonnerre - lovely, correct and showing well
2013 Casa Dumetz, Gewurztraminer - lightweight, clean and true to its variety; so many gerwurtz are thick or heavy or the nose reminds me of perm solution but this is spot on and nearly weightless. Most enjoyable.
2015 Vincent, Pinot Blanc - one has go some distance to impress me with this grape; Vincent does
2016 Lioco, Chardonnay, Sonoma County - under $20 and a balanced, no noticeable oak rendition of this grape that is good dinner accompaniment and nice by itself.
2014 Jean-Marc Morey, Chassagne, Les Chenevottes - again the word suave comes to mind and certainly it’s Burgundy but I’m not inspired.
2010 Luneau-Papin, Muscadet L d’Or - mighty fine and showing well
2010 La Pepiere, Muscadet, Clisson - showing much like grand cru Chablis and utterly wonderful.
2015 Belluard, Grands Jorasses - altesse does not get much better
2016 ESJ, Heart of Gold - about 50/50 Vermentino and Grenache Blanc, needs time but is so fresh that even now it brings a smile.
2014 Louis Moreau, Vaulignot 1er - lovely Chablis without wood or artifice.
2016 Cave Dog, Albariño - as good as you’ll find outside of Spain
2014 Forge, Riesling Les Allies - Finger Lakes Riesling that impresses me as much as any domestic Riesling I’ve tasted.

Reds:
2012 Rhys, Pinot Noir, Horseshoe Vnyd. - the promise of Mendocino, fulfilled
2016 Elio Grasso, Langhe, Gavarini - honest, delicious Nebbiolo I can afford
2014 Idlewild, Grenache Gris - more rose in color but plenty of grip and flavor; ‘love this wine
2015 Birichino, Mourvèdre - century old vines and a gentle hand make this truly delicious (somewhat in the D&R model)
2009 Amapola Creek, Cabernet Sauvignon - Dick Arrowood’s new project but not for me
2014 Landmark, Pinot Noir, Overlook - also, not for me
2015 Belle Glos, Pinot Noir, Dairyman Vnyd. - not a bad wine but not even a hint that it’s Pinot
2015 Dirty and Rowdy, Mourvèdre, Antle Vnyd. - wines like this make me wish I had a bigger wine budget; Lordy, this is good!
2002 Clos de la Roilette, Fleurie, Tardive - has not fulfilled its promise; it’s not bad but the horsie ain’t happy
2015 Broc Cellars, Cabernet Franc, Happy Valley - back up the truck; brilliant, joyous, giggle inducing juice that may be my own personal crack
2012 Sandro Fay, Valtellina, Costa Bassa - easy drinking Nebbiolo that will never be profound and doesn’t need to be
2012 Jean-Charles Maire, Les Marnieres - Trousseau as its supposed to be; nice
2015 Dom. de St. Pierre, Les Gaudrettes - Best Pinot Noir I’ve had in a long time; Jura wine and proud of it
2015 Gonon, Les Iles Feray - thank god for friends with money; truly extraordinary
2009 Roty, Bourgogne - very nice village wine
2012 Ca’ Momi, Pinot Noir - no, just no
2010 Coudelet de Beaucastel - pleasant CdR but nothing more
2008 Terre del Barolo, Barolo - interesting but not fascinating
1982 Chateau Montrose - disappointing; hopefully other bottles are better
1990 Opus One - not bad, not stellar, but not bad - I’m pleasantly surprised
1995 Caprai, Sagrantino 25 Anni - one of the most tannic wines ever, on release, this gave me about 45 minutes of pleasure and then started to dry out. I have no idea if it will live long enough to give more, but I doubt it.
2012 ESJ, Rocks and Gravel - this bottle was slightly spritzy and not quite itself; I suspect refermentation and poor storage in the distribution/retail chain
2014 Parussa Giuseppe, Roero - a bottle of this Nebbiolo was better last year, this one was a brett bomb
2015 Texier, Chat Fou - charming, lip smacking Grenache that simply works

Best, Jim