We tasted tonight (2/28/18) Some New Zins:

5. DryCreekVnyd Zin HeritageVines/SonomaCnty (14.5%; Vine age: 22+ yrs; 79% Zin/20% PS/1% Primitivo;
www.DryCreekVineyard.com) Healdsburg 2016
: Med.color; strong raspberry/blackberry/Zin/DCV bright/spicy light
vanilla/oak very attractive nose; lightly tart spicy/Zin/raspberry/blackberry/Zin light coconutty/vanilla/oak
smooth/balanced flavor w/ light smooth tannins; very long very spicy/bright/raspberry/DCV Zin light coconutty/
Am.oak finish w/ light smooth tannins; another classic DCV Heritage Zin. $nc (SR)/$24.00
Zin bit dusty attractive/interesting nose; rather soft/fat some Ridge/Am.oak/vanilla fairly strong blackberry/
Zin/raspberry bit dusty/earthy attractive flavor w/ light smooth/ripe tannins; long soft strong blackberry/
Zin/raspberry some Ridge/Am.oak slight earthy/dusty finish w/ light soft tannins; plenty of blackberry/Zin
fruit but not very structured and lacks grip. $31.50 (ATP)
blackberry bit fumey/EA slight pruney very light vanilla/oak nose; bit soft some overripe/pruney bit alcoholic
slight spicy/raspberry/blackberry/Zin bit simple some vanilla/Am.oak flavor w/ light bit tangy tannins;
med.long simple/raspberry/very ripe/blackberry/Zin some vanilla/oak finish w/ light tannins; bit on the
overripe & fumey side. $28.80 (ATP)
less overripe light smokey/vanilla/oak bit more interesting nose; somewhat soft rather raspberry/Zin/blackberry/
spicy light smokey/vanilla/Am.oak flavor w/ light tangy tannins; long spicy/raspberry/blackberry/Zin/
less overripe some vanilla/Am.oak finish w/ light tangy tannins; a bit more interesting and less overripe
but decidedly unthrilling. $27.90 (ATP)
Med.dark color; strong blackberry/raspberry/Zin/fairly spicy some vanilla/Am.oak light earthy pleasant nose;
bit soft somewhat dilute/ho-hum some bhlackberry/boysenberry/Zin lightly spicy some Am.oak flavor w/ light
smooth tannins; med.long soft rather blackberry/boysemberry/Zin/lightly spicy bit earthy some Am.oak/vanilla
finish w/ light smooth tannins; lacks structure & grip; an altogether pleasant enough Ridge Zin but no more
than that. $32.00 (ATP)
oak rather perfumed/fragrant attractive nose; lightly tart fairly strong blackberry/boysenberry/Zin/some spicy
some dusty/OV light vanilla/Ridge oak fairly rich/lush flavor w/ light ripe tannins; very long lightly tart
rich/lish strong blackberry/Zin/boysenberry/fairly spicy some Ridge/oak bit complex finish w/ light ripe/gentle
tannins; quite an attractive Ridge Zin and better than the others above. $35.00
rather dusty/OV very light vanilla/Am.oak quite spicy/bright/classic LS fairly complex nose; fairly tart rather
rich/lush/some structured very light vanilla/Ridge oak bright/blackberry/Zin/boysenberry/ripe some complex flavor
w/ modest ripe tannins; very long/lingering bright/very spicy/blackberry/Zin/boysenberry slight vanilla/oak rather
dusty/OV bit complex finish w/ modest smooth/ripe tannins; shows that classic LS/briary spiciness; not quite the
structure of the regular LS and sort of a LSJr but quite good at a very attractive price. $29.70 (ATP)
Zin/boysenberry/spicy light vanilla/oak lovely complex nose; lightly tart fairly rich/lush strong blackberry/Zin/
quite spicy some dusty/OV light vanilla/smokey/oak bit complex flavor w/ light gentle tannins; very long fairly
strong blackberry/Zin/spicy some dusty/OV bit complex finish w/ light smooth tannins; quite an attractive Zin and
moving into its prime drinking window. $30.00 (ATP)
vanilla/Am.oak rather dusty/OV bit complex nose; lightly tart very spicy/blackberry/Zin/boysenberry some dusty/OV
light vanilla/Ridge oak bit complex flavor w/ modest smooth tannins; very long/lingering quite spicy/blackberry/
Zin/ripe/boysenberry some dusty/OV bit complex finish w/ modest smooth tannins; quite an attractive Zin; my
favorite of the Carmichaels. $32.00 (ATP)
Zin/spicy bit vanilla/oak nose; lightly tart some TCA/corked some blackberry/spicy/Zin flavor w/ modest brisk
tannins; pretty much robbed of character by the TCA. $33.30 (ATP)
DryCreekVlly raspberry rather spicy modest Am.oak light earthy/dusty bit complex nose; slightly soft very strong
blackberry/Zin/very spicy light earthy/dusty/slight rustic some vanilla/Am.oak fairly structured very attractive
flavor w/ modest ripe/tangy tannins; very long/lingering very strong vanilla/Ridge oak some earthy/rustic bit
complex finish w/ modest ripe tannins; a very good Ridge ATP at a good price. $28.80 (ATP)
__________________________________________________________________________________________
More blatherings from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. Primitivo: This Zin is from the newer LyttonWest vnyd. I had this when it first arrived and was pretty
underwhelmed. But, like some of the Ridge ATP's tend to do, it has this uncanny knack of, with some age,
of rising up and biting you on the a$$ with how good its become.
Kokoman for $14/btl, $12.50 w/ case discount. A stupid/silly price.
I tried the '15 again after this tasting. It is a rather bigger/more intense blackberry Zin than this '16. So
we will get more of this from Koko. The '16 seems to be a more refined/polished Zin w/o the intensity of Zin
fruit. But I suspect it will put on weight w/ btl age and be just as good as the '15 in time.
like this is how BeniDusi would grow Zin in Oakville if he could. A bit disapointing.
3Vllys/EastBench Zins but not nearly the level of their flagship Zins (Pagani/LS/Geyserville. If I would fault
the ATP Zins it would be that they're not significantly distinct one from the other. But I continue my ATP
because I like the Rhones and, occasionally, they'll hit one out of the park. The ATP's tend to be a bit
unthrilling at release but sometimes will rise up and bite you on the a$$ w/ how good they've become w/
bottle age. And they are, after all, Ridge. Some of us can't get enough of the Ridge experience. But if
you stick to the flagship Zins (LS/Geyserville/Pagani), you can get the best of the Ridge experience. And,
I grudgingly admit, their ATP Caarignanes have been getting better. But I sure pine for the days of the
Fiddletown and Occidental Zins.