Ridge Vineyards Zinfandel Pagani Ranch Sonoma Valley Ca. 2005

A shroud of sediment drapes the neck and shoulders of this wine. In the glass, the wine delivers a luminescent purple. The nose is big with Zin funk, cranberry, brown sugar, rhubarb and dark fruits. On the palate, rhubarb and cranberry lead, with Zin funk, plum and brown sugar in quick step. Cranberry carries from start to finish, where it is joined with brown sugar and pepper. The wine is a pleasure to drink. While it may not have the richness of a few years back and isn’t likely to improve any more, this bottle seems to be holding its own right now. 14.2% alc.; seems very much in balance. Sediment drops out with the final pour. With chicken cutlets under mushroom sauce. 11.30.17. Recommended.

Ridge Vineyards Zinfandel Pagani Ranch Sonoma Valley Ca. 2008

On the second night of the fantastic blackberry Zin short ribs, we pulled the wine actually recommended for this recipe - a Ridge Pagani. This is my first impression of the ‘08 bottling. The blend consists of 85% Zin, 10% Alicante Bouschet, 3% Petite Sirah and 2% Carignane. The rhubarb is not as dominant as I would have thought, but it does present. More bright cherry, plum and brown sugar with a few sprinkles of cinnamon and coffee. The dusty tannins are fully integrated. This is very much ready to drink and enjoy. A shadow of sediment surrounds the neck of the bottle. 15% alc. With (beef) shortribs (with a recipe from Ridge) 03.04.18. Recommended.

"I've wrestled with reality for 35 years and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Elwood P. Dowd