Donkey and Goat Stone Crusher Roussanne El Dorado Ca. 2011

I’d held high hopes for the age-ability of this wine. I was wrong. After searching for a wine to accompany a cheese plate, I reluctantly pulled this thinking it was too young, but hey, it would best accompany the cheeses. I was wrong that it was too young, but correct that it best accompanied the cheeses. The color of the wine is an intriguing amber. Cloudy, but not dull, the amber is beguiling, but not beckoning. The nose is a golden delicious apple, and eventually, tangerine and orange blossom. It takes a long while for the orange blossom to appear. Faint, indistinct apple leads the attack at first but tangerine comes on in a big way as the wine opens. “Big” as in the sense that the tangerine note takes over, but not big as in fleshy or juicy. The finish is indistinct and seems to just fade from little to nothing. Without any depth, the wine makes a linear track. This wine is unfiltered and appears rather cloudy. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but if you’re looking for a wine to captivate the eye, this probably isn’t it. 13.5% alc. With two triple cream cow cheeses, including St. Andre and a manchego, crisped pancetta and crusty bread.. 12.08.17. Recommended with Reservations due to age.

"I've wrestled with reality for 35 years and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Elwood P. Dowd