2006 Saxum James Berry Vineyard

45% Syrah, 38% Grenache, 17% Mourvedre. This one needed a bit of air, but it really delivered when it woke up. Spicy, peppery nose with notes of cherry. The fruit is lovely and sweet (not in a residual sugar way). Blueberries hit you first than red fruits, cherries and raspberries. The pepper notes from the nose continue onto the palate. The tannins are still there and can stand to soften some more, but don't overpower the fruit even now. Nice acidity. There is a bit of elegance to this wine despite its level of extraction. The finish is long, but still a bit hard. It shows the fruit and structure from the front of the palate. I didn't decant this wine and I'm betting that would have helped it. It has really progressed over the last 12 years and still has some evolution in front of it. I can see coming back to this wine in 10 years. With food (dry aged ribeyes) it really perked up. 16.6% ABV but I hardly noticed it. B+ to A- right now, but wait on this one if you can (or decant it for a few hours). In 5+ years it should be stunning.

Charlie