We tasted tonight (5/23/18) Some New Wines:
1. AndisWines Orange Wine of Viognier ApetahiVnyd/AmadorCnty (13%; 2 brls) 2016: Deep golden/burnished
bronze color; fairly strong phenolic/resiny/bit cider rather orangey/bit honeyed rather fragrant/
floral/bit Viog perfumed complex lovely nose; some phenolic/resiny/cidery light orangey/honeyed
rather floral/perfumed/Viog quite rich flavor; very long/lingering rather orangey/honeyed some
phenolic/resiny rather perfumed/floral/Viog finish; noticible phenolic character but not austere/
tannic on the palate like many; a very good balance between phenolic & honeyed/Viog fruit;
quite a lovely skin-contact white. $30.00/500 ml
skin-contact some floral/Albarino/honeyed slight watery flavor w/ slight bitterness; very long some
tangy/tart/bitter some phenolic/resiny/cidery/skin-contact bit floral/Albarino/appley/honeyed finish w/
light tannic bitterness; not as phenolic as expected from the color; quite an attractive nose w/ a nice
balance of phenolic and floral fruit but not quite delivers on the palate and a bit watery. $32.00
light resiny/phenolic flavor w/ little tannins; very long rather floral/PG/pomengranate/cranberry quite
acidic very light phenolic/resiny finish; speaks more of a rose than a skin-contact white because of little
phenolic character; a bit on the acidic side but a pleasant ramato, but just that; probably would benefit
from more age. $30.00
floral flavor w/ slight tannic bite; very long/lingering strong pomengranate/cranberry/watermelon/bit floral
some spicy/cinammon slight earthy/stony finish w/ light bitey tannins; quite an attractive brisk/bright rose
w/ lots of cranberry character; no phenolic/skin-contact white character that I can pick up. $25.00
lightweight quite attractive nose; rather tart/tangy/acidic light floral/cherry/Trousseau some Alpine/earthy/
loamy rather light/bright flavor w/ light tangy tannins; very long bright cherry/cherry blossom/floral/
Trousseau rather earthy/loamy/dusty lightweight finish w/ light brisk tannins; a fairly classic Alpine
Trousseau; a pretty/lightweight red but just that. $20.00 (K&L)
floral bit earthy lightly tart finish w/ light bit bitter tannins; aa lightweight slightly watery/dilute
Trousseau w/ not a lot of flavor; a pleasant-enough glou/glou red but just that. $30.00
attractive nose; very acidic/sour somewhat earthy/loamy rather BF/black cherry compote/plummy bit austere/bitter
flavor w/ some hard/bitter tannins; long bit unclean/bretty/rustic fairly loamy/earthy plummy/black cherry/
Lemberger quite sour/acidic finish w/ some bitter/astringent tannins; fairly classic Lemberger nose but rather
painful on the palate; no bargain at $12.00 (BDW)
long lightish/bright/strawberry/raspberry bit earthy/dusty finish w/ light astringent tannins; a bit funky on
the nose but a pleasant/light-weight red but just that. $23.00 (BDW)
w/ light ripe tannins; long very ripe/overripe/pruney/late hrvsty slight peppery/Schio flinish w/ light ripe
tannins; an overripe/late-hrvsty/fumey character that belies the 15% alc level; more like an Amador LateHrvst
Zin than anything; it does have some Schio/pepper character beneath the overripe fruit. $30.00/500 ml
Schio slight earthy/dusty rather complex beautiful nose; lightly tart very strong cracked black pepper quite
spicy/peppery/Schio bit earthy/dusty complex quite lovely flavor w/ light smooth tannins; very long/lingering
very strong cracked black pepper beautifil peppery/Schio/very spicy finish w/ modest ripe/smooth tannins;
a lovely expression of Schio at a great price. $20.50 (KK)
classic spicy Barbera beautiful complex nose; very tart very spicy/peppery classic Barbera/Italian sausage/
fennel bit earthy some complex flavor w/ modest bit rough tannins; very long/lingering classic Barbera/very
spicy/Italian sausage/fennel slightly earthy/rustic bit complex finish; not as rugged/austere/bitey as many
Piemonte Barberas; one of the better Italian Barberas I can recall; lovely classic Barbera. $30.00 (BWM)
Italian sausage bit complex flavor w/ light drying tannins; long strong Barbera/Italian sausage/spicy some
tired/dried out fairly extracted light oak somewhat earthy/dusty finish w/ light bitey tannins; lots of
Barbera character & fairly extracted but somewhat tired/drying out; would like to try a younger version.
$29.00 (K&L)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
More fartwerkle from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. Skin-contact whites: The color of both of these led me to expect them to be quite phenolic in character.
They both had noticible phenolic character but it was balanced out w/ lovely perfume on the nose and not
nearly as phenolic/austere on the palate as I was expecting. Maybe the secret of making good skin-contact
whites is using varieties that have a lot of natural aromatics?
Overall, I thought the wines were quite sound/well-made/4-square ShenandoahVlly wines. I was particularly
impressed by the Semillon from DillianRanch; a variety that I think deserves a lot more respect up there.
A month ago, MikeDunne had an article on four Amador wineries that he thought are worth visiting. What caught
my eye were the two wines that he recommended: a skin-contact Viognier and a Schioppettino. This is only the
fourth Schio in Calif of which I am aware. And I was unaware that anybody in Amador was playing around with
skin-contact whites. So, of course, I had to try these two wines and ordered some. GM JenaePlasse was a
great help in getting these wines to me.
I was particularly impressed with the skin-contact/orange Viognier. The phenolics were definitely present
but there were a lot of other things going on in this wine. Worth seeking out. The Schio was less impressive.
It, indeed, speak of Schio, but w/ a whisper. It was swamped by the overripe/late-hrvsty character that
reminded me some of the Montevina or Santino/Renwood late-hrvst Zins of yesteryear. I suspect that Schio has
a real potential, like Nebbiolo, in the ShenandoahVlly and very much look forward to trying their future
efforts if they can reign the ripeness level.
of that variety I've tried.
all up&down the coast of Calif.