June 1 blind tasting lunch notes

We had a smaller than usual group (7) what with the summer and other demands on people’s time, but it turned out to be a really exceptional bunch of wines.

2015 Thorne & Daughters Rocking Horse Cape Blanc – this was a very pleasant if odd blend (the Cape winemakers seem to like conjoining varietals in an iconoclastic manner in their blended wines) of Roussanne, Semillon, chard, chenin and clairette. Both richness and minerality in the nose, and a creamy mouth feel (oak was evident) with a crisp clean finish.

1983 Ducru Beaucaillou – great way to start, a light to medium colour and excellent cedar and cherry, balanced in the mouth, of good length and smooth. Showed a tad of break up with time in the glass, so time to drink up.

1966 Giscours – I was thinking a bit later – maybe a 1970 (they always seem younger than they are to me) but knew this had to be a good vintage. Medium colour, a nose of tobacco with a tad of spice, mellow and mature, and in the mouth a still ample fruit presentation with notable acid in the finish. Starting to dry out a bit but one can make small allowances for half century old clarets!

2000 Giscours – much darker, of course and with a broader palette of aromas, including tobacco, cherry and a bit of tobacco. Fairly full bodied with good fruit levels and soft tannin notable only in the medium length finish. Good wine! Prime time drinking right now and no rush.

1994 Robert Mondavi Reserve Cabernet – medium to dark colour, with a nose that featured sweet currant and mocha, in the mouth, sweet but not ripe with a nice long finish. Excellent showing of California cabernet the way I like it. Ready now but should hold. First bottle out of the case, that I have opened. Made by Tim Mondavi, and the only complaint I have is that it has the silly bottle they used for a few years, with a wide flat rim at the top that defies use of many conventional corkscrews.

2005 Heitz Martha’s Vineyard – we seemed to have set up the perfect tasting order – just luck, of course. Dark wine with substantial eucalyptus levels, a signature for the vineyard (plus I have it on good authority that it was not all due to the Eucalyptus trees adjoin the vineyard – the odd branch used to find its way into the crusher….) Spicy on palate with plumy cassis as it opened. Good.

2002 Flora Springs Trilogy – big chocolate nose with undertones of tar, ripe and smooth with sweet fruit on plate and medium length. Drink up.

Great food and excellent wines.