Ridge Vineyards Zinfandel Lytton Springs Dry Creek Valley Sonoma Co., Ca. 2008

With apologies to Tom Wolfe, “Houston, we have claret.” Incredibly smooth, velvety and elegant wine that delivers plum, brown sugar, rhubarb, Draper perfume and black fruits. Distinct notes of mocha and coffee on the finish. The elegance glides by leaving an alluring hint of dusty rose. Drink now. Maybe not as bright as the Paso Robles, but every bit as enjoyable. 74% Zinfandel, 21% Petite Sirah and 5% Carignane. Light coat of sediment coats the entire side of the bottle with some thickening at the shoulder and sediment dripping out in the final pour. 14.4% alc. With smoked pork ribs (smoked then finished in the oven). 05.27.18. Recommended.

Ridge Vineyards Zinfandel Paso Robles San Luis Obispo Co., Ca. 2008

The color has lightened from a couple of years ago. While still dark it is not entirely an opaque burgundy. Cherry and brown sugar at the head of the class while rhubarb, herbs and cedar fill in the from there. If this wine was muted two years ago, it is no longer and seems to be singing at full volume. Maybe it will improve more; it certainly will hold its own for several years to come what with the full tannins and ripe fruit. A balanced wine that drinks younger and brighter than the Lytton Springs pulled for comparison. Heavy sediment at the shoulder. Always 100% Zin. 14.6% alc. With smoked pork ribs (smoked then finished in the oven). 05.27.18. Recommended.

"I've wrestled with reality for 35 years and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Elwood P. Dowd