I pulled three pinots of various ages from the cellar. We started with them over cheese and salami and carried through to dinner (roasted sockeye salmon). The time and food made for interesting comparisons.

2007 Amalie Robert Estate Pinot Noir Willamette Valley

This is the wine that benefitted the most from time and air. The color was a light red, almost murky. At first the nose showed faint red fruits and a bit of an earthy note. The fruit seemed (over) delicate, notes of plum and earth. Muted tannins , decent acidity. The finish was short and harsh. The overwhelming impression was not strong. A wine past its prime C+

But every time we returned to it the fruit picked up weight and spice. The depth increased and the tannins seemed to firm up. Even the acidity seemed brighter and the balance better. With the salmon it was bright and lovely. Lively fruit, great acidity and balance. Most impressive, the finish became lovely and gentle. At the end it was an "A"

2011 Brick House Pinot Noir Cuvee de Tonnelier Willamette Valley

I'll be honest. I have heard a lot of great things about Brick House wines, but I just don't get it. A faintly spicy nose, translucent red in color. Red fruited, a bit of strawberry, nice but not overwhelming. Undistinguished tannins, good acidity. Moderately long, pleasant finish. It brighten with food. Pat thought it "thin". There was almost no change at all with time as we kept coming back to it. A decent pinot noir, but nothing special was the impression. "B"

2014 Copain Pinot Noir Kiser Vineyard "En Bas"

Nose was a bit muted with a bit of funk that blew off. Bright red fruit on the palate, strawberry, cherry notes. Firm, but not overbearing tannins, great acidity, good balance. Nice, smooth long finish with cleansing acidity and a bit of a pepper note. With air and time it became more subtle, more elegant. By the time we tried it with the salmon it just kept getting better and better, bright fruit, bright acidity. Pat said it was "yummy". it needs another 3 or 4 years at least to come into its own. A-

The Amalie Robert ended up our favorite wine of the night, odd considering it started as our least favorite!

Charlie