Eugenio Alessandria Barolo 1970

Interestingly enough, there is no alcohol designation on the bottle nor a bottle size. It went down so fast I was sure it was a 720 ml but the bottle looks normal size.

Eugenio Alessandria - Borgata Onorati, Santa Maria - La Morra. So there's no info on this producer anywhere on the internet that I could find. When I bought it, it was listed as F. Alessandria who I'd heard good things about. Got a discount when it was delivered and it wasn't F. Alessandria. The area is sick with Alessandria's.

I've been fascinated by the Santa Maria district of La Morra after I read Wine Atlas of the Langhe where they claim the lesser reputation of Santa Maria is undeserved and the area has some very fine wines. I was a little taken aback as I had never really heard of Santa Maria before. As I am very taken with the notion of finding great undiscovered Barolo, I tried to buy some, only to find out there is little to none available in the US. So it was a fun surprise to pull this wine out and find Santa Maria listed on the label. No guarantee that this wine was from Santa Maria but a high likelihood. Borgata Onorati is right next to the Stephan Farina and Oddero wineries.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/12064+La+Morra+Province+of+Cuneo,+Italy/@44.6537657,7.9483443,16z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x12d2ae6ec3372ce7:0x799e57639790df6f!8m2!3d44.6389416!4d7.9338054

The wine had a strong, persistent perfume. It was only decanted for a little while. Tons of sediment. Initially somewhat oxidized, it mostly disappeared and left a very enjoyable wine with savory, rose and sour cherry flavors, with nice balance and some structure left. Medium bodied and balanced. The flavor was also very persistent as well. The oxidative notes were perfectly integrated. A very nice wine that's in no danger of fading. It got better in the glass but was gone so fast you couldn't really say too much about it. A birth year wine for two of the attendees. Fun! I've only had one or two 1970's before so not well acquainted with the vintage.

Thanks
Fraser

Attachments
DSCN0506.JPG