Ridge Vineyards Zinfandel East Bench Dry Creek Valley Sonoma Co. 2012

What I described 13 months ago remains true now: “The color of ox blood from rim to core; this is deep and intensely colored. The nose fills with Draper perfume, coffee, molasses, sweet cherry and orange peel. The palate is soft; the tannins fully integrated. The big, fruited attack segues to brown sugar [and treacle] with coffee on the finish. The flavors track the bouquet beautifully. Despite the [higher] alcohol, the wine is the essence of balance. Sediment free; completely clean.” 14.9% alc. With mushroom, pepperoni and sausage pizza. 08.12.18. Recommended.

Ridge Vineyards Zinfandel East Bench Dry Creek Valley Sonoma Co. 2011

When the 2012 went down in a flash, I returned from the cellar with this, which is what I originally wanted to pull, but couldn’t find it. While casting a similar ox blood red and equally opaque, the color is not as bright. No Draper perfume fills the nose. Brown sugar and molasses around sweet cherry and rhubarb wash across the palate with a softness, but lacking the refinement of the 2012. The tannins appear fully integrated. The mouthfeel is surprisingly thin next to the 2012. A finish of coffee closes out the show. If I drank this by itself, I’d likely be satisfied, but next to the 2012, its deficiencies are magnified. A fair amount of sediment clings to the bottle’s side. 14.6% alc. With mushroom, pepperoni and sausage pizza. 08.12.18. Recommended.

Ridge Vineyards Zinfandel Pagani Ranch Sonoma Valley Ca. 2009

My first impression of the ‘09 bottling. The blend consists of 80% Zin, 14% Alicante Bouschet, 4% Petite Sirah and 2% Carignane. As the cork clears the bottle the room fills with this wine’s bouquet. Zin funk, molasses, cinnamon, something floral, blackberry, blueberry, plum, allspice, Draper perfume; an explosion of scents! And its all there with precision on the palate. Surprisingly absent is the usual tell-tale rhubarb most Zins and most all Ridge Zins show. Here, it’s simply not a factor. More red fruits burst out by the finish where coffee elbows its way in. Very little sediment. 15% alc. With (beef) Shack attack burgers. 09.19.18. Recommended.

"I've wrestled with reality for 35 years and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Elwood P. Dowd