Tried this last night:
1. Solminer Gelber Muskateller DeLandaVnyd/LosOlivosDist (100% Muscat Canelli; 13%; 36 cs) 2017: Pale gold color; very fragrant delicate/muscat/more Malvasia-like/floral/apple blossom light stony/mineral/chalky/perfumed talc lovely perfumed nose; fairly tart/tangy/slight metallic/steely very light muscatty/Malvasia-like/floral fairly stony/perfumed talc/chalky/bit earthy totally dry slightly rustic bright/bracing flavor; very long light muscatty/Malvasia-like/floral/apple blossom rather stony/earthy/chalky/perfumed talc bit metallic/steely slightly rustic finish; a dead-ringer for a slightly rustic Croatian or Slovene/GoriskaBrda Malvasia d'Istriana; can go toe-to-toe w/ any Austrian GelberMuskateller; this is how they would make Malvasia d'Istriana in LosOlivosDist if they could; would love to try a skin-contact rendition of this. $30.00
1. Gelber Muskateller is the German name for the ancient variety Muscat Blanc a Petites Grains, as distinguished from Muscat Ottonel and Muscat of Alexandria. It is so named because of the golden color its skin takes when fully mature.
Muscat can often be, like Concord, a bit too much of a good thing. Which is why I like Malvasia d'Istriana, because of its greater subtlities. This has the subtilities that I prefer in Muscat.
This is a great example of a wine that's put on weight & development. I had this GM several days after it arrived on my doorstep. It was a bit too subtle & I was a bit underwhelmed. A beautiful rendition of Muscat.
Tom