2016 Lexington Wine Company "Alma" Gist Ranch Santa Cruz Mountains

I received a message from a wine merchant in Healdsburg I have dealt with for a long time. The essence was, "I can't get this wine to sell to you, but I think you should contact the winery and buy it from them. Great bottle of wine." Now when a merchant says buy something from someone else, I pay attention. So I did. Honestly, the jury is still out on this wine. It's 74% Sauvignon Blanc and 26% Semillon. We have cracked two bottles now and the first impression has been the same. A bit of petrol on the nose. A thick, viscous mouthfeel. Seems low in acidity and has almost a sour note to it. The fruit is hard to pin down. Not really bad, just not impressive. But let it warm almost to room temp and that changes. The nose has sharp lemon pepper notes. The acidity picks up, there is an apricot like flavor to the fruit, a bit of pineapple. A bit of spice on the finish which is much crisper and cleaner. Still not bowling me over, but way better as it warms up. Doesn't taste like any SB I have had. I have the feeling this is a "love it or leave it" kind of wine. I just haven't figured out which way I feel. Grade? I have no idea....

Charlie