Originally Posted By: TomHill
Tasted this from my new F-H shipment ystrday:
1. Forlorn-Hope Dragone Ramato PinotGris RorickHeritageVnyd/CalaverasCnty (11.61%; 77 cs) Murphys 2017: Light garnet bit orange/brown bit cloudy color; very light PG/floral/spicy/cinammon rather resint/phenolic/skin-contact bit earthy rather interesting nose; very tart/tangy rather austere/tannic quite phenolic/resiny/skin-contact little PG/floral flavor w/ strong hard/gritty tannins; tart/tangy/tannic/austere rather phenolic/skin-contact/resiny slight earthy little PG finish w/ ample hard/astringent tannins; a very hard/austere ramato that one can only hope time will help; rather painful to taste but having w/ food helps. $30.00
1. I was somewhat disappointed by this Dragone. It was really dominated by the phenolic/skin-contact character and it was pretty painful on the palate, even w/ the sausage & sauerkraut. One can only hope it will become less painful to drink w/ some age. Or maybe not!
Tom

The Ramato was left out on the counter for over a week, untouched. The dominant phenolic character was almost completely gone and it was no longer painful to drink, with the tannins pretty much subsided. However, it had only turned into a rather mild-mannered pleasantly fruity/floral PG with not a lot of interest. What this implies for its long-term evolution...I haven't the faintest idea.
Tom