Had these two whites w/ dinner last night:
1. Jana DryRiesling Mendocino (9.5%; NelsonFamilyVnyd; www.scottharveywines.com) 2016: Med.yellow color w/ some small bubbles; lovely very Germaniac R/floral/mango quite flinty/steely some Mosel valve oil/petrol very perfumed nose; rather tart/tangy pretty dry some R/floral/mango light petrol/valve oil light stony/chalky/mineral lovely flavor w/ no signs of dissolved CO2; very long fairly tart/tangy near dry some R/floral/mango light petrol/Mosel valve oil finish; a beautiful nose that doesn't quite deliver as much on the palate; this wine should age into something really special w/ 4-8 yrs of age; a lovely Germaniac expression of Calif R at a very good price. $18.00 (CB)
2. Weingut Frank GrunerVeltliner DAC: Weinviertel (12.5%; AugustWineGroup/Seattle) Weingut Frank/Herrnbaumgarten 2018: Light gold color w/ some bubbles; quite attractive GV/spicy/peppery/floral fairly classic GV nose; bit dissolved CO2 on front of palate; bit off-dry pleasant GV/white pepper/spicy bit simple flavor; med.long off-dry light GV/white pepper/lightly spicy rather simple finish; an altogether pleasant typical GV but rather on the simple side. $16.00 (CB)
1.This is, of course, Scott Harvey's wine he makes under the Jana label (Jana is his wife). I've followed Scott from the very start, from his days at Montevina. And then at Santino, and Renwood, and Folie a Deux.
Scott was a big troublemaker in high school up in the foothills. His Dad was a HS teacher there. He was sent off to Germany for a year to straighten him out, where he picked up his love for Riesling. Under his own label, he has made Riesling from Michigan, FingerLakes, and Calif. These grapes are OV R from the Nelson Family Vnyd. The MikeDashe R from there has been my gold standard for Calif R. This Jana is now my platinum standard for Calif R. It avoids the tutti-fruity character of many Calif R and shows a Germanic character one seldom sees in Calif R. Worth tracking down.
Tom