Took this last night to Pig+Fig for Laura's Iberian Dinner to share:
1. Abudarham Madeira Sercial (20%; Imprtd Exclusively for CortiBros/Sacramento) Abudarham & Fos.Lda./Funchal 1940: Med.brown color; very strong Madeira/acetaldhyde oxidized/maderized nutty/walnutty/coffee/espresso rather alcoholic some complex nose; very dry some alcoholic classic Madeira/nutty/walnutty/maderized strong acetaldhyde/oxidized complex flavor; very long/lingering maderized/Madeira/nutty/walnutty/coffee bean fairly alcoholic strong acetaldhydic complex finish; quite an interesting Madeira.
1. This is a Madeira I bought from DarrellCorti about 1976, probably for around $20. He had some other Abudarhams, Bual & Malmseys, going back to the late 1800's. So this 35 yr old Madeira had been in my cellar for over 40 yrs. Cork was sound and came out intact. I goes at auction, as a "dessert" wine, for around $400. A dessert wine it is not.
When I shared this around after dinner last night, it received much ohhhs & ahhhs. To tell the truth, I was rather underwhelmed by it. It was dominated by the alcohol and the acetaldhyde and the maderization and everything else was sorta quiet & suppressed. It was a pretty classic old Madeira. They are, of course, pretty ageless. A very interesting taste of history, an intellectual pleasure...but just didn't offer up a lot of pleasure. Some of the old Abudarham Buals & Malmseys I had from Darrell were far more interesting and pleasurable. Maybe with some turtle soup this would have been better. But tasting on its own...not so much.
Tom