Tried this last night w/ my baked beans:
1. Ravenswood Zin McGillVnyd/DryCreekVlly LateHrvst (16.0%; Picked: Oct.11; Bttld: April 28 1997; RS: 4.4gm/100ml; TA: 1.30 gm/100ml; 70 cs) 1995: Very dark color w/ some browning; rather alcholic/fumey slight raisened/pruney/late hrvsty strong ripe/blackberry/boysenberry/Zin/some spicy bit toasty/smokey/oak some Amarone-like some earthy/dusty/OV fairly complex nose; fairly sweet quite tart intense ripe/blackberry/boysenberry/spicy/Zin bit dusty/OV some raisened/overripe bit hot/alcoholic complex flavor w/ some smooth/gentle tannins; very long/lingering quite tart intense blackberry/boysenberry/spicy Zin/ripe bit toasty/oak bit alcoholic slight raisened/overripe complex finish w/ light smooth tannins; an amazingly good example of a LH Zin that has aged well; still lots of Zin fruit remaining and no signs of oxidation. $24.00 (Q)
1. I opened this wine w/ very low expectations. I was expecting a raisened/pruney/late hrvsty alcoholic mess of a wine that was totally shot. It was not. It still had plenty of Zin fruit remaining. Was not at all tired & dried out. In amazingly good condition.
Look at that TA. The highest I've ever seen in a red wine, where the TA typically runs down about 0.6%. By all rights, this should have had a screechy/teeth-chattering acidity on the palate. It did not, though did show a fairly tart acidity, but not out of balance like some of the IPoB reds. I can only attribute the acidity to making this 24 yr old wine still so alive.
Tom