I had this again for the 4th time last Friday.

13.5% / 13,470 bottles and 100 magnums made. Importer's name is taped over so I can't see it (?).

Decanted 5-6 hours and it needed it.

"Getting more interesting than the last time. Starts off with tomato/straw/pine/leaves with slight rose underpinnings. It picks up more rose & depth and becomes more classic. Not bad - cinnamon / tannic aftertaste with sneaky power. Didn't want to like this.....but fairly perfumed, nicely balanced. Dry & slightly austere. Tobacco. Cherry, slightly dilute.

With food, it has more depth on the nose. Smooth, balanced, spicy & slightly intense. Italian and acidic. Dark cherry & licorice on the nose. More edge, more tannic. Very nice. Edgy against the food. Gains richness & depth. Now classic, smooth, balanced, spicy, slightly dry & austere. Strawberry and freshness becoming v. nice, rose-bomb-y and menthol & cool. Graduated to more intense licorice & menthol".

I have at least one left and based on tonight, I won't open it for at least 10 more years. This was quite an improvement over the last 3 times. It opened up as the night progressed and was good the next day as well. Very good wine. Interesting how wines that are overly acidic and fruitless when younger can turn into complex, interesting wines. Certainly the case here. Confusing to call it Castiglione, though as a pretty fair portion of the fruit isn't from there. Excellent match with morel stuffed quail and mushroom pasta.

Thanks
Fraser

Edited by fraser (02-02-2020 11:54:52)