I decided to break out some older Syrahs from Copain and see how they were holding up. These were a random selection (reach and take them out of the rack without checking). It happened that they were from 3 consecutive vintages but from very different locations.

2005 Copain Syrah Garys’ Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands

Beautiful nose of fresh earth and cherries. On the palate the fruit is still fresh and bright. Blueberries, plums, violets. Polished tannins, lively acidity, great balance. Finishes long with spice, pepper and red fruits. Lovely wine. Should go another 3 to 5 years at a high Level. 14.2% ABV. “A”

2006 Copain Syrah Brousseau Vineyard Chalone

A slight funky note on the nose. The palate is a bit sharp, cherries, roast meat, pepper. Tannins are firm but not overbearing. Nice acidity and balance. Finishes moderately long with plums but the fruit is a bit faded. Decent, not great at this point. I’d drink up. 14.5% ABV. “B”

2007 Copain Syrah Thompson Vineyard Santa Barbara County

Soft, clean red fruit aromas. The palate is bright and fresh with red fruits, lovely stuff. Cherries, currants, even a hint of crushed basil. Brilliant acidity, polished tannins, great balance. Finishes long and lively with spicy, peppery notes. A refreshing mouthfeel across the palate. First rate stuff. Count on it drinking well for 3 to 5 years more (at least). 14.5% ABV. “A”

Of course, as much as I liked the 2005 and 2007, Pat wasn’t crazy about them, but loved the 2006 which was the weakest of the three from my perspective. This is why you open more than one wine….

Charlie