With Canadian Turkey Day Dinner

1990 Joseph Perrier Champagne Cuvée Royále – light amber colour, a subdued pettilance, some nice caramel and vanilla notes in the nose and on palate a very mild oxidative note that if anything added to the flavour interest of the wine. At the end of its life but it went down fighting.

2018 Suertes del Marqués Valle de la Orotava Vidonia – tasted blind. Mid straw colour with lemon in the nose and very faint oxidative hints along with a bit of candle wax. Clean and crisp on palate with a decently long finish. Where is it from? Well, Spain technically, but from the island of Tenerife in the Canary Islands half way around the top hump of Africa. Made from the local varietal Listan Blanco, fermented and aged in oak. A chardonnay ringer but with extra elements that made one unsure about guessing that. Great wine for blind tastings!

1985 Château L'Arrosée – this St. Emilion is one you rarely see but it was brought into my province for many years and a group of followers resulted. The colour was getting just a tad pale, and the nose was a good currant and mint, with an interesting smoked meat element that developed as it opened up. Smooth in the mouth, balanced and with a long soft finish. Good.

1992 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon The Montelena Estate – the twentieth anniversary wine, cellared by me since release. Similar colour – perhaps a tad deeper, and a nose that continued to evolve for more than two hours. Obvious mature cab, with more spice than the Bordeaux showed, and elements of mocha and then tobacco and black currant showed up. In the mouth it showed soft tannins and good length. Still in fine shape, having added secondary elements that both mellow the wine and increase complexity. I love these wines (this is one of my very favourite Cal-cabs). Bought on release and working my way slowly through a case of this vintage.