Delving deeper into my recent Bedrock order, I tried last week:
1. Bedrock SauvBlanc JudgeFamilyVnyd/BennettVlly/SonomaCnty (14.2%; brl frmtd) 2019: Light gold color; very spicy strong melony/SB/ripe/floral very light herbal light pencilly/oak quite perfumed beautiful nose; lightly tart/tangy very floral/ripe/SB/melony/carnations slight herbal light pencilly/oak balanced/ripe slight chalky flavor; very long/lingering quite floral/SB/melony/carnations bit herbal very light pencilly/oak lovely finish; the strong floral character suggests it might be SauvignonMusque; reminds a lot of a Sudstiermark SB but more rich/lush in character & a bit more oak; an absolutely gorgeous SB. $28.00
2. Bedrock SauvBlanc Staves of Waidhofen SonomaVlly/SonomaC nty (14.1%; Fassbinderei Stockinger/Austria) 2019: Light gold color; beautiful very fragrant ripe/melony/SB/floral/gardenias light pencilly/oak rather complex nose; lightly tart/tangy very rich/lush balanced ripe/melony/SB/slight herbal light floral/gardenias light pencilly/cedary/oak fairly complex flavor; very long/lingering strong floral/melony/SB/ripe/gardenias/spicy slight herbal modest pencilly/vanilla/oak/cedary mouthfilling/rich/lush fairly complex finish; a beautiful rich/lush/balanced SB that's the equal to any from the Sudstiermark; terrific price at $28.00
3. Bedrock Cuvee Karatas SonomaCnty WW (55% AncientSemillon/1886 MonteRossoRanch + 45% SauvBlanc/KickRanch/RinconVlly; 14.5%; brl frmtd in 55% new Fr.oak; 8 brls) 2012: Med.dark gold color; very strong figgy/Semillon/fig newton bit green olive tapenade/herbal some toasty/Fr.oak beautiful complex aged Semillon nose; lightly tart strong aged Semillon/figgy/fig newton/graham cracker bit chalky/mineral some toasty/charred/Fr.oak fairly complex flavor; very long/lingering strong toasty/pencilly/cedary/Fr.oak strong Semillon/figgy/fig newton/ bit green olive tapenade complex finish; a lovely example of a Calif Semillon w/ some maturity; reminds a bit of HunterVlly aged Semillon but w/o that bracing acidity & the strong oak. $40.00
Staves of Waidhofen refers to the tiny village of Waidhofen on the Northern border of Austria. This is where Franz Stockinger crafts his barrels, from a variety of oak sources in Europe. They are regarded as the RollsRoyce of oak cooperage, or the Stradivarius of oak barrels:
Stockinger/Jancis
Stockinger/Bibendum
The one Stockinger barrel I've seen is some of the finest craftmanship I've seen that puts that craftmanship of the W88 to shame. These barrels, very rare, are imported into the US by RajPaar and JaimeyMotley. I suspect they are frightfully expensive.
Tom