Berteletti Gattinara 1964

720 ml

I had this a second time and it was really fun to drink.

It's Berteletti not Bertelletti. I have tasting notes under both but the former is correct.

It was rather subdued when I opened it and had a strange aroma of ginger and coca cola. The cork came out in one piece. Decanted for two hours. The color was quite dark, the weird odors has gone away, replaced by a persistent rose aroma. The wine itself was fresh, young tasting, cool, sweet, menthol, plenty of fruit, medium bodied and medium complexity and concentration but very firm and assertive at the same time. Plenty of tension between the fruit and acid and tannins. Very well put together wine that is very satisfying but not hugely complex. Probably a fairly cheap and simple wine when it was made that has become a testament to the wonderfulness of Gattinara.

I've had a whole bunch of these Berteletti's - Gattinara, Ghemme and Spanna from 1964 and 1967. I have one left. This was probably one of my best wine deals every. Inexpensive and all but one of the bottles has been in perfect shape. Not blockbusters but they really deliver a lot of satisfaction. Highly recommended.

Drunk with chanterelles and pasta, a nice match.

thanks
Fraser

Attachments
Bertlelleti Gattinara 1964.JPG

Edited by fraser (11-29-2020 12:45:44)