Got together with a couple of friends to sit in front of the fire and sip wine yesterday. The wines turned out to be really excellent.

2016 Marcel Deiss Riesling – this Alsatian is showing a tad more colour than the last time I opened one, but has the same fruit and petrol nose along with some subtle spice notes, and a well balanced medium length finish.

1998 Poliziano Le Stanze – this Tuscan IGT was my offering, the first I had opened in 8 or 10 years. Penetrating nose of fruit and some wood, and excellent fruit levels in the mouth, the plummy dark fruit carrying through to the lengthy finish. This wine has bloomed into a lovely example of IGT with unmistakable Tuscan heritage despite the non-traditional blend. Lovely.

2017 Lingua Franca Pinot Noir AVNI - first time I tasted this Oregon Pinot. Medium read especially compared to the Le Stanze, and a nose that opened to nice dark fruit – cherry and maybe a hint of Damson. Good fruit on palate and a fairly dry medium length finish with some as yet unresolved tannins. This should age nicely.