Brezza Barolo Cannubi 1999

14% Imported by Admiralty Beverage, OR

Bottle #1714

"Austere, dry, striking, old wood, balanced, powerful, complex but smooth. Really nice wine - my style, perhaps a touch over-extracted for me. Chewy, great texture, maybe not as aromatic as some nor as acidic. Cinnamon and black cherry in a vivid feel, fresh flowers. Very good, cool menthol. Really smooth, really balanced".

I was a little less enthusiastic about the couple of sips the next day. A bit over-extracted and I wonder what the future is for this wine. This is more of the powerful, structured side of Cannubi and less the warm, sunny, ripe, sweet side. Very little sediment. Opened and re-corked three hours in advance and didn't decant except at dinner. It did not seem to improve once opened.

I'm getting some damaged labels from the mildew on the bottom level in the basement.

The wine was somewhat overshadowed by the meal - Woodbridge Island Duck from the L.L. Bean Game & Fish Cookbook. It's duck breasts with onions and bacon and wine and we skipped the marmalade. Restaurant quality meal. Maybe I just don't go to the right restaurants or maybe Seattle has wimpy ones. Who knows why it was so good.

Thanks
Fraser

Attachments
Brezza Barolo Cannubi 1999.JPG

Edited by fraser (02-13-2023 12:53:05)