Blind tasting lunch notes

2014 Sylvain Mosnier Chablis Vieilles Vignes – obviously lightly oaked chard, but had to wait until it warmed up to get much else. Then the lemon and stoniness came out, and excellent acidity.

2005 Doudet Naudin Nuits St. Georges aux Tuyaux – corked

1982 Vieux Château Certan – this Pomerol had a typical mature claret nose, featuring mostly wood, pale edges, tannins resolved, and showed a smooth long finish. Still in good shape and enjoyable.

1996 Domaine Daniel Rion et Fils Vosne-Romanée Village – pale edges, some very decent fruit, mostly raspberry and some spice in the nose, and then it leaned down on palate half way through. Still, a decent showing for a village wine of this age.

1995 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Cornas Domaine de Saint Pierre – my last bottle and fortunately showed best of the last couple I’ve opened. Bright syrah fruit still evident, good nose of meat and spicy blood! Still medium to dark colour ad a]with decent weight on palate, and a medium length finish. If you have this, it needs drinking, but prepare for a possible treat.

2000 Domaine Grand Veneur Châteauneuf-du-Pape – nothing much happening in the nose with this wine, but it showed as ready to drink with smooth soft tannin and medium weight. Not bad, had the nose not been AWOL. OTOH, the last bottle we had possessed enough funky sweet nose to be dubbed 'Grad Manure' so it may have been a blessing.

Bailly Lapierre Réserve Brut Crémant de Bourgogne – a nice palate refresher after the other wines, light colour, yeasty nose and a lot of acidity.

1994 Château Les Roques Loupiac – this sweet wine showed a typical Sauternes style nose, a bit subdued, and some decent flavours on palate, finishing with good acidity. I was wondering why he’d kept this so long until I checked my own cellar and found 3 bb of the 1993…..time for some dessert wines!