Relatively recent pours

White:
2015 Granbazan, Albariño, Etiqueta Ambar - from an often good producer, a vintage that overachieved; bought more
2012 Paolo Bea, Santa Chiara - complexity, clarity, delightful
1991 Coulee de Serrant - best bottle of this ever; a life list wine
? Archineli, Etna Bianco - all Carricante and all yummy (Bill, can you help with vintage?)
2014 Brun, Beaujolais Blanc - clean, fresh but not exciting
2013 Casa Dumetz, Gerwertztraminer, Santa Ynez Valley - gerwertz without cloy, like it
2015 Ryme, Vermentino, Hers - never misses, charming wine
2014 Giacosa, Arneis - lovely, as always
2010 Marestel, Rousette de Savoie, Altesse - all one could ask of this grape, benchmark stuff
2012 Leo Steen, Chenin Blanc,, The Steen - special wine, I bought mucho

Red:
2009 Edmunds St. John, Rocks and Gravel, Dry Creek Valley - another R&G that makes me wish Steve still made this
2013 Imagery, Lagrein - big surprise, this was delicious albeit overpriced
2012 Stolpman Vineyards, Originals Syrah, Ballard Canyon - light and pleasant but I'd drink this sooner than later
2011 Sandro Fay, Valtellina Superior, Costa Bassa - inexpensive Nebbiolo that would impress even at twice the price, very good, bought a case
2011 Ar Pepe, Valtellina Sassella, Riserva - god awful
2015 Frenchtown Farms, Cotillion - blend of Syrah, Carignan, Zinfandel and Semillon; pleasant but showing sort of low brow for the moment; would be interesting to follow
2014 Argot, Pinot Noir, Steiner Ranch "Madras" - beautiful label but the wine needs to unwind, hold
1997 Edmunds St. John, Sangiovese "Matagrano" - showing its years but also its place
2015 Dupeuble, Beaujolais - better on release, these days my impression is holding it is a good idea
2002 Joel Taluau, Saint-Nicolas-de-Bourgueil VV - disjointed, tannic and green; no thanks
2014 Black Trumpet, Syrah, Sonoma Coast - fruit from Heinz Vineyard, impressive; intense but not heavy, nuanced with aromas and flavors that are not fruit but it's still fruit filled, good texture and length; a new venture and a worthy one
2009 Aldo Conterno, Barolo, Bussia - not near the weight or volume I expected but charming, ready and throughly enjoyable
2013 Sandlands, Trousseau - aromas, flavors, fruit and dryness all of a piece, a pleasure to drink
2001 Jamet, Cote Rosie: good but not great, better in its youth
2013 Dom. Serene, Pinot Noir, Yamhill Cuvée - nice wine but too oaky for me.
2005 Baudry, Chinon, La Croix Boissee - I am finally convinced that the Chinon I love is that which is made to be drunk the day of release and costs little; this is too green

Neither:
2014 Idlewild, Grenache Gris, Gibson Ranch - not a rose but more akin to Clairet in color; rich in the mouth but with a dry/savory streak that runs from first sip to last taste. Developing some layers and harmony as it gains bottle time. A deep and beautiful wine that I am convinced will age well. I bought several cases.

Best, Jim

Edited by Florida Jim (02-22-2017 16:11:43)